Accepted to Study Away? What’s Next?

Steps to take with assistance from the NSE Coordinator at WOU:

Once a placement is offered to you (you will be notified before Spring Break), you will need to:

  • Review and sign a Placement Acceptance Agreement (a form referred to as the PAF)
  • Review/update your budget for NSE  (Budget Worksheet form)
  • Fill out and sign an outgoing student advising agreement.
  • Fill out the applications to your host school
  • Then make travel arrangements!

If you are paying your host school’s tuition and fees (Host Payment) and you plan on using Financial Aid, list all placement choices and Western Oregon University on your FAFSA application (FAFSA codes are listed on NOTE: February 1 is the deadline to file a FAFSA application for students that apply for the NSE program.

Once accepted at a host school, you will be sent information regarding admission, housing, registration, and orientation. The Campus Detail Information on the NSE website ( will provide dates when you will receive this information.

Attend orientation offered at the host university! Complete the forms included in your welcome packet.

When on exchange:

  • Notify your host NSE Coordinator and WOU NSE Coordinator of your new address/contact information
  • Be sure and Advance Register for the next semester
  • Confirm attendance at WOU (if you receive this)
  • Send official, academic transcripts after each semester of your study away to the WOU NSE Coordinator
  • Send a financial aid transcript (Host Payment) when you return to WOU
  • Contact your host Coordinator and WOU Coordinator immediately if you have any difficulties or problems


There is a required orientation for students that will be studying away.  The orientation is typically during the first week of classes.

Outgoing Student Advising Agreement (distributed at the required orientation).

The advising agreement is for WOU students who have a study away placement at an NSE member school. Please complete this form with your advisor’s approval and return it to the WOU NSE Coordinator by the time you register for classes at your host campus. For course catalogs, please visit the institution’s website for lists of available courses and descriptions.

NSE Checklist

For more information on how to best prepare for your exchange, refer to the NSE Checklist document.

Incoming Students

NSE students coming to WOU: NSE Incoming FAQs.