At Western Oregon University, students with a declared major are assigned a specific Major Advisor. Exploratory students (students without a declared major) are advised by our office, Student Success and Advising (SSA). Our office also advises pre-nursing students, students on academic warning/probation/suspension, and new/incoming and transfer students.
Phone: (503) 838-8428 | E-mail: email@example.com
SSA directly advises the following student populations:
We encourage any student that has advising questions to reach out to our office. We look forward to chatting with you!
SSA helps returning students get back on track!
If you have completed courses at WOU, but have not enrolled for 4+ terms, please click the link below for guidance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is my academic advisor?
How do I schedule an academic advising appointment?
To Advising Appointment with an SSA advisor, follow these steps:
1. Log into the WOU Portal
2. Select the blue WCS icon
3. Click on the blue Get Support button
4. Select the type of service you are looking for and then select an appointment reason.
5. Select a date and then on Find an Appointment time.
6. Select a time and the location for the appointment that works best for you. You can use the filters on the left hand side to select specific people (such as your assigned advisor) or a specific location.
7. Review the appointment details, add your phone number for text reminders (if desired) and add any comments you would like the person you are meeting with to see prior to your appointment. Click on the Schedule button at the bottom to confirm the appointment. You will receive an appointment confirmation and reminder via email (and text message if selected). Note: if you select a Virtual Appointment location, your confirmation email will include details for how to connect for your appointment. If you are select a Phone Appointment location, add your phone number to the comments so the person you are meeting with can contact you at the time of your appointment.
You can also use these steps to schdule with the following departmenrts:
- Student Success and Advising (SSA)
- Student Enrichment Program (SEP)
- Multicultural Student Services and Programs (MSSP)
- Office of International Education and Development (OIED)
- Some Faculty/Major Advisors
- General Education Office (GEO)
- Financial Aid
- Business Office
- Study skills tutors (time management, study skills, test taking, etc.)
- Course based tutors (for subjects outside of math, writing, science, and computer science)
- English Language tutors (through the English Tutoring Center)
If you do not see your advisor, they most likely do not schedule appointments in WCS yet. We encourage you to reach out to them personally to set up an appointment.
How do I register for courses?
- Open Wolf Web from your student Portal, open the Student menu, then open the Registration & Schedule menu.
- Select the Schedule Planner link.
- Select your term and campus(es) and change any of the other search criteria at the top of the page if you wish.
- Use the Add Course function to search for courses and add them to your plan.
- Use the Breaks function to input any days and times when you cannot or would rather not take classes.
- Click the Generate Schedules button for the system to generate possible schedules for you.
- View the generated schedules and use the favorites feature to save your best one(s).
- Click Send to Registration Cart to send your best WolfWeb for registration.
- Note you will need to send your schedule to the Registration Cart in order to register.
- Open the Schedule Planner Registration Cart in WolfWeb and submit your registration.
- The registration screen will load.
- Verify that the status of the class(es) is now Web Reg.
- If there was a problem there will be a message explaining the issue(s), which if resolved may allow you to register. See the Registration Overrides section of this page for more details.
I took a break from college, how do I come back?
Click Here to see our Degree Completeion (Returning Student) webpage!
How can I do better in online courses?
Click Here to see our Strategies for Succeeding Online Guide.
Can you explain my financial aid to me?
SSA advisors can help with financial aid questions only in a very general sense. We recommend scheduling an appointment with a Financial Aid counselor for specific questions about your aid.
503-838-8475 | firstname.lastname@example.org