Home » Education: Undergraduate Teacher Licensure Program » Program Admittance
The Professional Licensure Program takes three, full-time terms to complete. You’ll meet regularly on campus with your cohort group for upper-level courses on pedagogy and classroom management. You’ll also be completing a full year of student teaching in a local public school.
Steps for Applying
Cohort groups begin fall and winter terms. You are encouraged to work closely with our pre-education advisor to stay on track and up-to-date with the entrance requirements and application deadlines.
Step 1: Review requirements
Acceptance into the Professional Licensure Program is criterion based. In other words, you will not be competing with other students for these spots. In order to be prepared to apply (your Junior year), take the following steps.
The following criteria must be met to be admitted into the Professional Licensure Program:
- Institutional GPA of 2.75 or higher.
- ED course GPA of 3.0 or higher, with all courses with an ED prefix a B- or higher.
- For Elementary/Middle and Middle/High preparations, content GPA must also be 3.0 or higher.
- Pass criminal record check and character background checks.
- Demonstrate professional ethics and dispositions required of teacher candidates, documented through WOU faculty feedback. Dispositions required of teacher candidates include, but are not limited to the following:
- Respect others and value differences
- Build collaborative relationships with peers and instructors
- Communicate respectfully
- Graciously accept feedback for improvement
- Follow standards for academic honesty
- Adhere to codes of ethics and laws
- Pass teacher licensure exams.
- Complete two sets of classroom observation hours (30 hours each). A practicum based education course may be substituted for the first set of observation hours. See your advisor for details.
Step 2: Gather documents
You’ll need to upload the following documents when you submit your application.
- Licensure Exam Scores (first page only)
- Cover Letter and Resume
- Course Planning Sheet
- DegreeTracks (PDF)
- Character Questions Form
- Educator Disposition Assessment
We strongly recommend watching our video tutorial on how to prepare your application materials so you don’t miss any essential information.
Step 3: Submit
To access the application:
- Log in to the WOU Portal during the application period (see open and close dates below).
- Click on the TK20 logo. This will launch TK20.
- Click on Applications in the left sidebar.
- Click + Create New Application.
- From the dropdown, select the “Undergrad & Post-Bacc Program Licensure Application” option for the term you’re applying for (e.g. Fall 2021).
- Click Next and start your application.
You can also watch our video tutorial on completing the TK20 application for step-by-step instructions.
These dates are for the cohort starting Fall 2021.
- Application submission opens: January 6, 2021 at 8:00 a.m. PST
- Application submission closes: April 2, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. PST
You can submit your application at any point during the application period. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.