Education and Leadership
The Bilingual Teacher Scholars Program
Supportive Partnerships for Excellence in Teaching
The Bilingual Teacher Scholars Program is committed to the diversification of the educator workforce through an innovative and collaborative “grow your own” program in collaboration with major school districts and community colleges across Oregon. The BTS program includes:
- Seeking outstanding bilingual/bicultural high school and community college students interested in education careers
- Braiding district and university funds to support all students
- Providing extensive scholarship and remission opportunities to all qualifying students
- Building an annual cohort program of 50-60 students from across the state
- Facilitating monthly professional development activities for future educators
- Focusing on academic success and dual language development
- Delivering academic coursework in both Spanish and English
- Providing the highest quality advising and mentorship
- Supporting test prep and tutoring to assure ability to pass required educator tests
- Offering summer/school year employment in home district or other agencies
- Assuring student teaching placements in home district (when possible)
- “First to interview” status
- Changing the world through excellence in education!
The BTS Program provides a scholarship of $3000 per year, renewable annually. Program participants receive academic support, individualized advising, and professional development opportunities.
Application Process & Deadlines
January 15th, 2020
March 1st, 2020
Go to the WOU Portal for scholarship application forms. Click on the scholarship icon on the upper right hand side of the browser window.
- Apply for Bilingual Teacher Scholars Scholarship
- Apply for WOU General Scholarships
March 15th, 2020
Take Spanish and math online placement tests.
Please contact Dr. Dantas-Whitney if you have any questions.
Dr. Maria Dantas-Whitney, BTSP Coordinator
Western Oregon University, RWEC 222
345 N. Monmouth Ave., Monmouth, OR 97361
firstname.lastname@example.org | (503) 838-8636