May 23, 2023
Tuesday, May 23, 2023
3:15 - 5:15 p.m.
Business 3:30 - 5 p.m.
This meeting will be held in the WILLAMETTE Room of the Werner University Center
Also available by Zoom
New divisional Senators are encouraged to attend the May 23rd meeting.
Draft Minutes for May 9, 2023 (DOCX) (PDF)
- Faculty Senate President's Report (PDF) (Steve Scheck)
- University President's Report (PDF) (Jesse Peters)
- Provost's Report (PDF) (Rob Winningham)
- Interinstitutional Faculty Senate Report (PDF) (Cheryl Beaver/Emily Plec)
Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) Policy (Judy Silva, Sue Monahan)
HECC info on CPL
No new business
1. Upcoming Veterans' Center Memorial Day dinner (Logan Doerfler)
2. Proposal for Spanish-English bilingual courses and free Spanish courses for faculty/staff (Katherine Schmidt)
3. International Education Committee to give an update on the Office of International Education and Development and the Study Abroad Office (Ya-Fang Cheng)
4. Members of the Strategic Planning Committee to give an overview on next steps (Omar Melchor-Ayala, Malissa Larson, Rian Gayle, Denise Thew)
5. Status briefing on Occupational Therapy program (Sean Roush)
Closing discussion items from the floor
Call for future business items
Looking for the next: 1) General Education Director (contact Leigh Graziano); 2) Program for Undergraduate Research Experiences (PURE) Director (contact Hillary Fouts); 3) third Faculty member spot on the Academic Sustainability Committee (contact Steve Taylor); and 4) faculty positions on the Institutional Review Board (IRB) (contact Emily Vala-Haynes); Textbook Affordability Initiative Steering Committee is seeking new members for the 2023-2024 academic year (contact Sue Kunda)
The annual Pastega Awards for Excellence ceremony will be on Wednesday, May 24, 2023. 3:30 - 5:00pm, RWEC 101
2023 Excellence in Scholarship Award: Dr. Isidore Lobnibe
2023 Excellence in Teaching: Dr. Misty Weitzel
2023 Excellence in Service: Dr. Leigh Graziano
Chronicle of Higher Education Feb 2023 article on public regionals vs. public flagships.
College Restructure Taskforce Final Report December 14, 2022
SUBMIT NEW BUSINESS
Have something you would like to share with or have discussed by Faculty Senate? Use this form to let us know!
Faculty Senate President: Stephen Scheck
The mission of the Faculty Senate is to lead faculty in fulfilling their responsibilities in the shared governance of the university and to represent faculty interests to university and community stakeholders. The Faculty Senate serves as a liaison between faculty and administration. Responsibilities include the following:
- ensuring that academic freedom is encouraged and protected;
- overseeing curriculum development that promotes student learning in alignment with identified university student learning goals and outcomes;
- participating in the review and implementation of the strategic plan of the university;
- informing faculty about university policies, procedures, and substantive changes made by the administration; and
- making recommendations to faculty and administration on policies to improve the learning environment.
Documents and Links
Draft Best Practices for Faculty Senators (PDF)