WELCOME to the Residential Community at Western Oregon University!

The information that you find below has all been written with you, the resident in mind. While living on campus there is information that you are responsible for knowing and following. You will find that information below – become familiar with it and let it serve as your guide through your experience here on campus.

We wish you the very best while living here on campus! Please feel free to contact us if you have an questions or suggestions.

– The University Housing Team


Research has demonstrated that there is a more productive and more satisfying experience for students who reside in University residence halls than those who live off-campus. With this in mind, Western Oregon University adheres to a First Year Live-In Requirement. “First year students who enroll at WOU within one year of high school graduation regardless of class standing must live on campus for the full academic year (Fall, Winter and Spring terms).”

Exceptions to this requirement may be requested by petition. Exceptions that are generally approved are as follows:

  • Living at Home with Parents, within a 30 mile radius of WOU.
  • Having a Dependent that is living with you.
  • Marriage.


Housing at Western Oregon University is granted on the basis of an agreement between the University and the student. By electronically submitting, you agree to spend the entire academic year (or remainder thereof) in University Housing. Contracts may be viewed and printed by clicking the link(s) below.


Contracts for each Academic Year are available to residents one time in the summer – they must be electronically signed, and submitted to guarantee housing in the Fall. Residents arriving for check in for other terms will have access to their contracts prior to check-in. You must electronically submit your contract prior to moving in any term of the year. If you wish to make a copy for yourself, please use the links below.


Housing contracts are the written documents for both the student and University Housing to understand the rules about living and eating on campus. Each year, students living on campus must sign a housing contract.

Students who have completed their high school education at least one year ago have the option to choose between an Academic Year Contract and a Term Contract. If you are one year or more out of high school and are interested in the details about these two contracts, please use the link below to make an educated choice regarding the contract that you choose to sign.

(Students who are right out of high school are required to live on campus for their full first academic year and are governed by the Academic Year Contract only.)

Western Oregon University Housing Contracts: YEAR vs. TERM


Download the petition in this format and save it to your computer. Fill out the petition electronically, and then either save it to your computer and send it as an attachment to housing@wou.edu or print the completed petition and submit in person to the University Housing Office. (Located on the ground floor of Ackerman Hall)



University Housing

(503) 838-8311 | or e-mail: housing@wou.edu  | Location: Ground floor of Ackerman Hall

Accessibility    Public Records    Privacy    Student Consumer Information

WOU prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by WOU.