J.E.D.I Professional Development Activities
The College of Education’s office of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (J.E.D.I.) offers many great professional development activities.
The J.E.D.I. office works to ensure that our teaching, service, and research are grounded in equity with the aim of preparing socially-responsible teachers and professionals. We seek to become actively informed while advocating for and supporting those who have faced discrimination and racial aggression in schools, workplaces, and society.
The Office of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (J.E.D.I.) centers on justice- and equity-oriented programming and professional learning for students, staff, and faculty in the College of Education. There are currently five types of activities supported by the J.E.D.I. office. Below is a list of the five types of activities and a description of each activity.
- Division-led Professional Learning Communities (PLCs): Division-led professional learning communities allow each division in the College of Education to participate in annual goal-setting with the J.E.D.I. office. The J.E.D.I. office then co-constructs division-specific action plans to support professional growth in designated areas.
- J.E.D.I. Literacy Workshops: J.E.D.I. literacy workshops are designed to provide education for staff and faculty toward building conceptual and practical frameworks supportive of a diverse college community.
- J.E.D.I. rooms for collective healing and understanding: J.E.D.I. rooms designate a space for community care, learning, and conversations around past and present societal tensions.
- Cultural events– The J.E.D.I. office sponsors culture-affirming events that recognize and celebrate the diversity in our college community.
- Community Professional Development– The J.E.D.I. office provides professional development for local teachers, public service employees in neighboring cities, and other community partners.
Here is a list of some of the professional development opportunities that J.E.D.I has offered in the last few months:
- Division-led Professional Learning Communities (PLC)
- 2nd Annual DEL-BLM Week of Action Forum: Making the case for ethnic studies
- J.E.D.I. Literacy Workshops
- Collective Care in Higher Education: J.E.D.I. Professional Development on Socio-Emotional Learning
- Learning Session on Trauma-Informed Practices
- Learning Session 2 on Trauma-Informed Practices
- Creating a Trauma-Informed Syllabus
- Reflecting on Our Course Planning
- Cultural Event Asian, Asian-American, Pacific Islandar Heritage Month Celebration
- Where do we go from here? Reflections one year after the attacks in Atlanta featuring Kevin Kumashirto
- J.E.D.I. Rooms for collective healing and understanding
- Featuring Gaby Gardiner from Basic Rights Oregon responding to national Don’t Say Gay legislation and collective responsibility in Oregon
Make sure to keep an eye on the J.E.D.I website for updates on upcoming events!