The Theatre program holds auditions for, and casts, up to six full productions each academic year. The following procedures apply to all departmental productions, both faculty and student directed:
- Because the Theatre and Dance department is supported by student fee money, it is the policy of the department that ALL auditions will be open to all students on campus.
- Any pre-casting of guest artists will be announced prior to auditions.
- Specific audition requirements are determined by the directors, although the vast majority of productions require at least one (and sometimes two) memorized monologue for the first round of auditions. Watch the call boards for specific audition information.
- Being cast in a production is not a “right” but an earned privilege. (In other words, just as in the real world, you must audition well and earn a role.)
- If there is both a main stage and a studio show in the same term, both productions will generally hold joint auditions, followed by separate callbacks. Directors of main stage productions get first choice in casting as a matter of policy, but there is often some room for negotiation between the two directors.
- Cast lists are posted (usually within a day or two of the auditions) on the boards in the hallway and/or on the directors’ doors.
Information about upcoming auditions and events can be found on our Facebook page.