Types of Aid


Financial aid, often based on financial need, that does not need to be repaid.

(Unless, for example, you withdraw from school and owe a refund.)


Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is usually awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or a professional degree. Amounts can change yearly. For the 2022–23 award year, the maximum award is $6,895 The amount you get, though, will depend on

  • your financial need,

  • your cost of attendance,

  • your status as a full-time or part-time student, and

  • your plans to attend school for a full academic year or less.

You may not receive Federal Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time.


For less than full-time enrollment, awards will be prorated as follows:

  • 3/4 Time Enrollment = 75% of Award

  • 1/2 Time Enrollment = 50% of Award

  • 1/4 Time Enrollment = 25% of Award


Oregon Opportunity Grant (OOG)

The Oregon Opportunity Grant (OOG) is Oregon’s largest state-funded need-based grant program for students planning to go to college. Opportunity Grants are funded primarily by Oregon taxpayers. Nearly 40,000 students receive Opportunity Grants each year.

Three Steps to Apply for an Oregon Opportunity Grant

For less than full-time enrollment, awards will be prorated as follows:

  • 1/2 or 3/4 Time Enrollment = 50% of Award


Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is awarded to students with the greatest financial need and who meet WOU’s priority deadline. Students must be Pell Grant eligible to qualify for this grant. To get an FSEOG, you must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) so we can determine your financial need. The FSEOG does not need to be repaid.

  •  Must be enrolled at least 1/2 time to receive this award.

Federal TEACH Grant

The Federal TEACH Grant is available to WOU education and pre-education majors. The grant amount is up to $4000* annually and is not based on financial need.

  • For any 2022-23 TEACH Grant first disbursed on or after Oct. 1, 2021, and before Oct. 1, 2022, the maximum award of $4,000 is reduced by 5.7% ($228), resulting in a maximum award of $3,772.

For less than full-time enrollment, awards will be prorated as follows:

  • 3/4 Time Enrollment = 75% of Award

  • 1/2 Time Enrollment = 50% of Award

  • 1/4 Time Enrollment = 25% of Award

Students who receive a federal TEACH Grant must complete a service obligation by serving as a highly-qualified teacher in a designated high-need field at a low-income school for four years within eight years of completing a TEACH Grant eligible program. Failure to complete teaching service will result in the TEACH Grant being converted to an unsubsidized Stafford loan with retroactive interest.

*Please note – awards first disbursed on or after March 1, 2013 are subject to a reduction due to cuts in federal financial aid as a result of the “sequester.” Awards first made on or after this date will not be eligible for the full $4,000 award without congressional action.



Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

For students whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of performing military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11. Must be ineligible for a Federal Pell Grant due only to having less financial need than is required to receive Pell funds. Must have been less than 24 years old or enrolled at least part-time at an institution of higher education at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death. For more information click here.


Loans are funds which will need to be repaid and include Federal Direct Loans, Federal Consolidation Loans, and Private Loans. For more information see our Manage Your Federal Student Loans page.


Scholarships are gifts. They don’t need to be repaid. There are thousands of them, offered by schools, employers, individuals, private companies, nonprofits, communities, religious groups, and professional and social organizations.

Visit our scholarships page for more information on WOU scholarships, external scholarships, and helpful resources.

Work Study

Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program

The Federal Work Study Program is available to eligible undergraduate and graduate students. This program provides funds for employing students who qualify for part-time jobs either on-campus or off-campus in community service positions. The amount that you earn is limited to the amount that appears on your award letter. However, once you have earned the amount noted on your award letter, you may petition the Financial Aid Office to increase your work study funds.

You will receive an hourly wage based on the type of work you do, your skills and your experience. You can work a maximum of 20 hours per week except during vacation periods when up to 40 hours per week is allowed. You will be paid monthly based on the number of hours you worked in the pay period. It is your responsibility to locate a job.

You are not guaranteed a job or that you will earn the total work-study amount listed on your award letter.

You may view current job postings by clicking here. For assistance with the availability of job openings contact the Service Learning and Career Development Office (1st floor of the Werner University Center, WUC 119). Paychecks are disbursed at the end of the month from the Payroll Office and are based on the number of hours worked during the pay period.

Community Service Work Study Program

Federal Work Study can be used in such community service areas as health care, child care, literacy training, education, welfare, public safety, crime prevention and control, rural development, and community improvement. Using work-study in this way allows students to work in direct service roles with their local community and still earn money.

If you are eligible for Federal Work-Study, we encourage you to look at the opportunities available to you, or develop your own job. If you know of a community or social agency that may want to participate in the off-campus federal work study program, contact the Service Learning and Career Development Office at 503-838-8432.

Alternative loans

There are times when grants and federal loans are not enough to cover the cost of attending school. If that happens, students and parents have options for private loans. Students who become ineligible for federal aid may also pursue private alternative loans. The rates private lenders offer are not as competitive as federal loans, and we strongly encourage students to pursue federal loans before private loans. 

If you would like more information about private lenders, please click here. The lenders listed here are simply lenders who have loaned to WOU students in the last few years. Western Oregon University does not endorse any one lender. The information at this link is simply informational. The student has the right to whatever lender they want, should they pursue a private alternative loan. 


Taxability of Various Types of Educational Assistance

Note: Some or all of your financial aid (from scholarships, fellowships, need-based education grants, and qualified tuition reductions) may be considered taxable income. Please consult IRS Publication 970, Chapter 1 for more information.



Financial Aid Office

toll free 1-877-877-1593 | or e-mail: finaid@wou.edu | Location: Welcome Center 140