Frequently Asked Questions

Should I complete the FAFSA® if I don't think I'll qualify for financial aid anyway?

Yes! You will, at the very least, be offered federal student loans, which are considered to be financial aid.

I completed FAFSA®, so when will I receive my financial aid offer?

Starting with the 2019-20 award year, we will create an initial award offer prior to requesting any verification documents. After you submit all documents, we will complete the verification process, and if corrections to your FAFSA® application are required, a revision to your award offer may be made and an updated offer pushed to your My FinAid portal account.


Check your student e-mail regularly to see if we need anything else to mark your file as “complete.” Students with completed files who file their FAFSA® by our priority deadline of February 1 can expect their official aid package in the spring. Students who file their FAFSA® after February 1 can expect their aid packages sometime during the summer months.

I’ve been selected for Verification. What do I need to do?

If you have been selected for Verification by the US Department of Education, you can log into your My FinAid portal account and check under “Documents” to see which verification form you’re required to fill out. Follow the instructions completely on the form to prevent any delays in packaging you.

How do I find out if the Financial Aid Office is missing items that might hold up my financial aid?

Log into your My FinAid portal and click on the “Documents” tab. If we’re missing anything from you, or if there is any circumstance that might be holding up your aid packaging or disbursement, it will appear here. You’ll also see the items that you have completed as well.

Can someone else call on my behalf and talk to you about my financial aid?

Yes, but you must authorize the release of your confidential information specific to the academic year. You can locate this form on the Portal home under Financial Aid Forms. Complete the form and return it to our office. This must be completed annually, similar to your FAFSA®. 

How do I request a change to my already-accepted financial aid?

Complete a Revision Request form for the appropriate aid year, available in the Financial Aid Forms section of the Portal.

I submitted a Special Condition, Revision Request, or SAP Appeal today. When can I expect an answer?

Our processing times vary greatly based on where we are in the yearly aid processing cycle. Times of heavy requests, throughout the summer and at the beginning of each term, usually see a response in 4 weeks

I don’t fully understand my financial aid package. How do I decipher it?

Visit our Glossary for a comprehensive list of financial aid terms and types of aid. You may also schedule an appointment with one of our financial aid counselors!

It’s the beginning of the term and my aid has not disbursed! What could be going on?

There could be a number of reasons why your aid hasn’t disbursed; the best place to check what is holding up your particular aid package is in your “MyFinAid” under “Documents.” Some common reasons which prevent aid from disbursing are not being enrolled full time, not having accepted your aid, or not having completed your Entrance Loan Counseling and Master Promissory Note. If you are not going to be a full time student in a given term, you must let our office know so we can adjust your aid amounts, if necessary, and release it to you.

Can I use all of my financial aid for the year in one academic term?

No, federal regulations require us to disburse aid equally across all your terms of enrollment.

How is my financial aid disbursed to me?

Your financial aid is applied to the charges on your account first. If your financial aid exceeds your charges, you will receive a refund of your credit balance, which you can use for your educationally-related expenses throughout the term. You can sign up for direct deposit for these excess funds through the Business Office’s website.

I’m receiving a private scholarship. How does that fit into my financial aid package?

You must report all scholarships to our office; your total financial aid—including private scholarships—cannot exceed your cost of attendance, and some types of aid cannot exceed your financial need. Email our office to let us know the details of your scholarship so we can adjust your aid if necessary.

If my question isn’t answered here or anywhere else on the website, can I make an appointment with a financial aid counselor to discuss my situation?

Yes! We have online appointment booking through your WOU Portal. Once you’re logged in, click on the Wolf Connection System (WCS) icon, and then click “Get Advising.” Follow the prompts to select a Financial Aid appointment and book a time that works for you.


Financial Aid Office

toll free 1-877-877-1593 | or e-mail: finaid@wou.edu | Location: Welcome Center 140