The Western Oregon University Alumni Award of Excellence is awarded each year to an alumnus or alumna (living or deceased) for their contributions and service to the university and community as well as for their distinguished work in their profession. Awards will also be made to alumni for their Professional Achievement, Service to Western Oregon University and/or Service to their Community.
These awards do more than honor these former students. It spotlights the accomplishments of Western and thereby increases the pride we all feel in our university.
Any alumnus, alumna, faculty or staff member may place a name in nomination. Nominees are contacted by members of the Alumni Selection committee and/or Advancement staff. Nominations will be carried forward for up to four years. The deadline for nominations is June 30.
- An individual who was enrolled at ONS/OCE/WOSC/WOU (graduate or undergraduate) for a minimum of forty-five credit hours.
- An individual who, in deeds and actions, demonstrates(d) pride in their alma mater and whose interest in and loyalty to Western is evident.
- A person of such integrity, stature, and demonstrated ability, that the faculty, staff, students, and alumni will take pride in and be inspired by his/her recognition.
- Someone who has made significant contributions to society, the community, and/or Western Oregon University either in service or financial contributions.
- An individual whose accomplishments and career have brought credit to the university.
*Those ineligible for nomination include: A candidate running for or serving in any public office; a current employee of WOU; or any alumni board member who is not yet three years removed from their term on the board.*
To submit a nomination:
- All nomination forms will be read and evaluated by the selection committee
- The selection committee is made up members from the Alumni Board of Directors
- Members of the Alumni Selection committee and/or Advancement staff will notify the honorees by late August or early September
- Honorees will be invited to accept their award during Homecoming in October