Telecommunications provides telephone services and network data connections to the WOU campus.
Telecommunication Services is part of the University Computing Department. We are located in the ITC building, room 009.
You may contact us at:
ph:503-838-8010 or by email: email@example.com
Monthly Recurring Rates effective Jul 1st, 2017
- Analog Phone: $22 / month
- Digital Phone: $26 / month
- IP Phone: $26 / month
- Fax / Stand-alone Voicemail / Modem / etc: $19 / month
- Wired Network Connection: $16 / month
- WiFi access for secondary use: $13 / month per person
- (e.g. access from smartphone, tablet, laptop when mobile)
- WiFi access for primary use: $21 / month
- (e.g. a daily-use laptop that does not use a wired connection when docked/stationary)
- NOTE: The WiFi network wou-guest is for use by prospective students, visiting speakers, commercial partners, and the greater Western community.
- LONG DISTANCE: Western’s local calling area comprises phone numbers in Dallas, Falls City, Independence, and Salem. Other US numbers are charged a rate of $0.05 per minute for long distance.
Labor and Materials Charge
Work performed by a Telecommunications Technician is charged to a department or project index by the following rates:
Business Hours: $60/hr per technician
Evening and Weekend: $90/hr per technician if required for the project
Student Worker: $20/hr per student if required for the project.
A typical line activation is completed in one to two hours. Estimates can be provided for more complex work orders.
Any new phone or accessory required for a work order is billed at cost to the customer’s index.
Note: there is no charge for repairing or disconnecting services
Services provided by Telecommunication Services include:
- Activating new or relocating existing telephone stations
- note: moving an existing extension requires a Telecom technician
- Repair for voice and data lines
- Telephone and voice mail assistance
- Long distance authorization codes
- Conference speakerphone and audio conference reservation
- Telephone and network service billing
- Calling card checkout
2018 Cellphone Speed Test
A test of campus service coverage and speed was conducted in December, 2018. The tested providers were AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon. The results of this survey are available at this link.
Cellphone Forwarding Now Available
Mobile and remote staff and faculty now have the option of linking a cellphone to a WOU deskphone extension. This feature makes it easier to reach highly-mobile members of campus, with the convenience and privacy of only having to call a single WOU phone number.
To submit a work order to Telecommunications
Please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Include the following information in your e-mail:
- Department name
- Contact name and extension
- Index to charge
- Description of work to be requested
- 6400 and 6220 series button template
- Current Cell Phone Allowance form (under “Employment Forms”)
- Long distance dialing instructions
- Phone instructions for IP phones
- 6400 series instruction sheet
- 6200 series instruction sheet
- All IP and digital stations at WOU can initiate six party audio conferences.
- WOU Faculty/Staff Directory
- Voice Recognition Directory (dial by name): ext. 8-9555