General Transfer Questions

Q: How will my credits transfer?

A: To see how a specific course transfers to WOU, check out our Transfer Articulation Tool.

Q: How can I benefit from the Degree Partnership Program?

A: Benefits of Degree Partnership Program:

  • Maximize your financial aid package
  • Lower your overall tuition costs
  • Early access to Western academic advisors
  • Transcript automatically sent to Western

Find more information on the Degree Partnership Program page.

Q: Where are the various advising/student services offices located?

A: Student Success and Advising is located in the Advising Center. Additionally, once registered, you should be assigned a major and you will be required to meet with your major advisor at least once a term in order to register for the following term. If you choose to have a minor, an academic advisor will be assigned to you when your minor is declared.

Q: How long will it take me to complete my degree as a transfer student?

A: This will vary by program, number of transfer credits, and whether you are attending part-time or full-time. After admission, WOU will articulate transfer courses, which can take two or more weeks to be posted to your WolfWeb account. The student can use the articulation of credits to work with their Academic Advisor to determine their path to graduation.

Q: What is the maximum number of quarter credit hours that I can transfer?

A: If you are transferring from a community college, you may transfer a maximum of 124 credits (for schools on a quarter system) of course work. A maximum of 24 credits for electives will be granted for technical or vocational classes taken at an accredited two-year college. Some programs at WOU may allow additional vocational credit.

Q: How will my prior credits transfer?

A: Once admitted to WOU, your credits are officially articulated and you will receive a transfer articulation report. In general, courses taken at a regionally accredited institution that are college-level (i.e., not developmental) will transfer. Limitations do apply. If WOU offers a similar course at the same level, the course will usually transfer as a direct equivalency. If WOU does not offer a similar course, or offers it at a different level, the course may transfer as either an elective credit from a specific department (LD for lower division; UD for upper division) or as a general elective credit.

If you are interested in how a course will transfer to Western Oregon prior to enrolling, it is recommended to review the WOU Articulation Tool. 

Q: Will my military credits transfer?

A: Western Oregon University grants up to 45 credit hours for military education as recommended by the American Council on Education’s (ACE) Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. Students may request evaluation of military credit by requesting an official Joint Service Transcript from 

Credit granted from your Joint Service Transcript will be evaluated for alignment with our general education objectives, and if applicable will be used to satisfy general education requirements.  Credit granted from your Joint Service Transcript can also be used to satisfy academic requirements within your major or minor with consultation and approval from your adviser.

Q: I am currently enrolled in English Composition and/or College Algebra, can I apply before I finish the course?

A: Yes. WOU does require the courses to be completed prior to your first term at WOU, but we can count in progress courses toward meeting the admission requirements at the time of application. We will request a final transcript from you verifying completion of the courses.

Q: I have not completed a foreign language, can I still apply?

A: WOU requires two years of the same high school-level second language with a grade of C- or above or acceptable performance on proficiency-assessment options. Demonstrated proficiency in an American Indian language can meet all or part of the second language requirement, as certified by the governing body of any federally recognized tribe. American Sign Language meets the second language requirement. The second language requirement applies to students graduating from high school in 1997 and thereafter. WOU does allow for flexibility in this requirement. Please contact the Office of Admissions for details.

Q: I owe my current school (or past school) money and can’t get a transcript, can I apply to Western Oregon without one?

A: No. Copies of Official transcripts from all prior colleges are required before your admission application will be reviewed for admission.

Q: Will I need to submit my high school transcript or SAT/ACT scores?

A: Students with fewer than 36 transferable, college-level quarter hours (or 24 college-level credits on a semester-based system) are considered freshmen and required to provide an official high school transcript or GED scoresSubmission of ACT or SAT scores is optional for freshman applicants with a 2.75 cumulative grade-point average. 

Transition and Adjustment Question

Q: How many students are in the biggest classes?

A: Western Oregon’s average class size is 19 students, and WOU doesn’t have large lecture hall-style courses. 

Q: How can I make an advising appointment?

A: Our transfer specialist can meet with you at a local community college (Chemeketa, Linn Benton, or Clackamas), or at our campus in Monmouth. Visit the appointment page to schedule an appointment.

Q: How do I find an internship?

A:  One of the best ways to find an internship is to check with the Service Learning and Career Development Center. In addition to overseeing the WOU Community Internship Program (that offers paid internships on campus) the office can provide you with many additional internship leads and strategies.

Q: I am transferring to WOU with an internship I'd like to get credit for. Who should I contact?

A: Currently, internships are evaluated on a program-by-program basis. Please contact your assigned Academic Advisor for more information.

    Q: How do I find a part time job in the Monmouth area?

    A: Come to the Service Learning and Career Development Center to update your resume and learn about local job opportunities. Also, make sure you activate your Handshake/Wolflink student account at and search for local employment opportunities. You can access Handshake by clicking the WolfLink tab at the top of your portal account.

    Q: How do I get involved on campus while living in the Residence Halls?

    A: Living in a Residence Hall can be scary and new. Here are a few tips to make living in a Residence Hall a little easier.

    • Introduce yourself to the people on your floor, or even in your particular hallway. Be proactive about meeting others that are living in the Residence Hall.
    • Attend your Residence Hall’s orientation meeting. Start by introducing yourself to the people around you.
    • Get involved in Residence Hall-sponsored activities. Volunteer to help coordinate a Residence Hall event.
    • Join a club and get involved with campus-wide activities. Use these activities as an opportunity to find something in common with other students living in the Residence Halls. If you recognize someone from your Residence Hall at one of these events, introduce yourself. There are also additional opportunities to participate in your Area Councils or the Residence Hall Association, which provide leadership opportunities via a student government experience specifically for students who live on campus.

    Q: Does Western Oregon have childcare?

    A: Yes. Western Oregon does have childcare. You can find out more about the WOU Child Development Center, and other relevant resources by visiting the WOU Child Development Center website. 

    Q: Where can I find tutoring?

    A: There are many tutoring options available on campus. All tutoring is free, although some have limitations on how often you can make tutoring appointments per term. On campus, there are several places you can visit to find tutoring: Math Center, Science Center, Writing Center, Computing Science Center, Student Success and Advising (SSA) Center and the English Tutoring Center (English as a second language). The Math, Science, and Computing Science centers do not require appointments to be made, and you can walk-in. 

    The Writing Center does have walk-in hours, as well as appointments. The best way to make an appointment with a tutor is to go to your Portal and click the purple icon, with a pencil, labeled “Writing,” which will take you to their scheduler. Follow the prompts from there. 

    SSA offers tutoring in a variety of subjects that aren’t covered by other tutoring centers, such as study skills, behavioral/social sciences, creative arts, and more! To make an appointment for SSA, you would go through your Portal as well. Simply click the WCS icon at the top of your Portal homepage, then click the “Get Tutoring” button on the right side of your screen.  Select “Course-Based Tutoring” and then select the course you would like to schedule a tutoring appointment. Choose “Learning Center (8am-5pm)” or “Ackerman Lobby (7pm-10pm)” to select an available tutor. Follow the prompts to complete your request. Estimate how much time you will need and ACTUALLY use. Tutoring blocks on the schedule are 30 minutes. Click on the time that works for you and sign up. Each “open” block will last that long. If you need longer than 30 minutes, please sign up for two 30 minute blocks.You can also stop by the SSA to talk with an advisor who is familiar with campus resources. The SSA is open Monday through Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM, located in the Advising Center. 

    Here is more information on tutoring!

    Q: Where can I find a quiet place to study?

    A:  Where to study at Western by the Western Howl

    1. Hamersly Library / The Press: The third floor offers complete silence, while the first and second floors allow talking. The first floor has dry erase tables that can be used for studying near The Press, and The Press allows for a quick caffeine fix!
    2. Werner University Center (WUC): The WUC has couches and tables, Allegro Cafe, and computers available for using to study. 
    3. Health and Wellness Center: The Health and Wellness Center has tables out front, bright lights and music, if this is better fitting for your studying preferences. 
    4. DeVolder Family Center: Located right next to the Health and Wellness Center, DeVolder offers dry erase boards, desks, and doesn’t get too busy. 
    5. Ackerman: This residence hall offers study rooms on a first come, first serve basis.

    Other places include Abby’s House located in WUC 106 which offers a smaller space with a comfy couch and tables to use. The Tutoring Center in the Academic Programs and Support Center has tables and several computers to use, and is typically less busy than other spots, plus it right near the writing center and is where you can meet with Peer Tutors if you need! Additionally, the Non-Traditional Student Lounge (located near the bottom of the stairs on the first floor of the University Center) provides a comfortable atmosphere for study, discussion, or relaxation. It is also a great place to find out about upcoming events, as well as network with other non-traditional students. In addition to sofas and informational bulletin boards, there is also a microwave oven, coffee maker, sink, phone and day lockers, all of which are available for student use. 

    Q: Is there a place for breastfeeding or pumping?

    A: Yes. There are several places on campus that can be used for breastfeeding or pumping. Here are some of them:

    • Abby’s House (WUC 106): Located within Abby’s House, there is a conference room that can be used. The door can be locked, has outlets, and there is a mini fridge that is dedicated for pumping supplies and breastmilk that can be used by any student or staff member. 
    • Math and Nursing Building: Near the west end of the first floor there is a restroom with a bench available. It has outlets, as well as a shower.
    • Student Health and Counseling Center (SHCC 133): This room has a bed, two chairs and outlets available.
    • Natural Sciences Building (NS 011): This room has a sink, counter, couch, and outlets available. 
    • Richard Woodcock Education Building: This is located between RWEC 211 and 212. To access, the student does need to check out a fob from the Dean of Education’s Office (also located on the second floor of RWEC). This room has a sink, table, chair, and fridge. 
    • Old P.E. Building: This is a restroom located between OPE 204 and 206. It has a chair, and outlets available. 
    • Werner University Center: An all-gender, single stall restroom located next to the Calapooia Room (WUC 130). It has a chair, shelf, and outlets available.

    Q: What other resources are available to students on campus?

    A: Western Oregon has many resources available to students! 

    • Abby’s House, Center for Equity and Gender Justice:  Abby’s House is a resource and referral center available to persons of any gender. They offer resources and referrals for a large variety of issues. You can come here if you need help for yourself, a family member, or friend. Their Advocates are not trained counselors, but they refer individuals to the counseling center.
    • Food Pantry: The WOU Food Pantry’s mission is to fight to end hunger in our community, by providing access to food and resources that promote health and success.
    • Multicultural Student Services and Programs: The office of Multicultural Student Services & Programs is committed to the recruitment, retention and graduation of historically underrepresented & underserved populations by providing educational opportunities and outstanding programming for ethnically and culturally diverse students. MSSP strives to enrich the undergraduate experience and foster a supportive environment for students of color to live, learn and grow as active members of the Western Oregon University community and as individuals.
    • Office of Disability Services: The Office of Disability Services (ODS) provides reasonable accommodations to ensure that students with disabilities have access to WOU and its programs; through intentional interventions, programs, and services in order that WOU will meet federal requirements, encourage personal growth, and increase effective communication for our students.
    • Stonewall Center: The Stonewall Center, operating under Student Engagement, is dedicated to providing resources, support, and advocacy for the LGBT*Q+ community at Western Oregon University through compassionate, educational experiences and an engaging community environment. Student Engagement offers professional staff direction (Coordinator, Leadership & Inclusion) as well as a student leadership position (Stonewall Center Coordinator).
    • Student Enrichment Program: The Student Enrichment Program provides services and support to equip students who are first-generation, low-income, or have disabilities with the skills to persist to degree completion. SEP shares supportive, holistic practices to empower underrepresented students to become academically and personally healthy participants, positively engaged in a diverse and global community. Students do have to apply to be a part of this program and a limited number of students are accepted into the program.
    • Student Health and Counseling Center: The Student Health and Counseling Center is here to provide support to our students for medical and counseling needs. They also provide health education, events, and prevention services to empower our students in making healthy choices for themselves.
    • Veterans Support Services: Veterans Support Services offers a variety of resources to WOU students who have served in the U.S. Military. 

    Financial Aid Questions

    Q: How do I go about getting financial aid at WOU?

    A: When you complete your FAFSA, be sure to add WOU (school code 003209). If you have already completed your FAFSA, you can log back in to and add WOU.

    Q: When should I apply for financial aid?

    A:  Complete the FAFSA as early as possible. The FAFSA is available in October and WOU’s FAFSA priority deadline is February 1st. WOU’s Scholarship deadline is March 1st, and Departmental Scholarships deadline is May 1st. Some funds are limited so meeting deadlines will help to be considered for these limited funds, if students are eligible based on the FAFSA.  Check with other schools for their deadlines.

    Here are other important financial aid deadlines. 

    Q: Is there any way to speed up processing?

    A: There isn’t really a way to “speed up processing” but you should complete the FAFSA and possible requirements once the FAFSA has been submitted.  This should be done early and completely.

    Here are a few helpful suggestions:

    • For faster processing of your FAFSA online, create a FSA ID for yourself, or if you are a dependent, your parent will also need to create one. To create an FSA ID follow the link:
    • Make sure to check your WolfWeb account and email regularly for any updates or follow-up.
    • Please write your name and WOU Student ID number on all forms submitted to the Office of Financial Aid and always retain copies of all forms for your records.
    • Make copies of your taxes and W2 forms in case the Office of Financial Aid requests these documents.

    Q: Are there Transfer Scholarships?

    A: Transfer students who have at least a 3.50 transfer GPA and are admitted as transfer students are automatically awarded the Transfer Scholarship of $2,500 per year. Here are other WOU scholarships available for transfer students. 

    Q: I receive aid, why hasn't my financial aid been disbursed?

    A: There could be a number of reasons why your aid has not disbursed; the best place to check what is holding up your particular aid package is in your “MyFinAid” under “Documents.” Common reasons which prevent aid from disbursing are not being enrolled full time, not having accepted your aid, or not having completed your Entrance Loan Counseling and Master Promissory Note. If you are not going to be a full time student in a given term, you must let our office know so we can adjust your aid amounts, if necessary, and release it to you.

    Q: When are refunds processed?

    A: Your financial aid is applied to the charges on your account first. If your financial aid exceeds your charges, you will receive a refund of your credit balance, which you can use for your educationally-related expenses throughout the term. You can sign up for direct deposit for these excess funds through the Business Office’s website. Here is the refund schedule for each term. 

    Q: Is there information available about regular student employment opportunities?

    A: Yes. There are several employment opportunities available on campus and in the Monmouth area. Not all student jobs on campus require that the student has been awarded work-study funds. Student employment opportunities, as well as other job openings, can be found by talking with our staff or searching Handshake/Wolflink. You can access Handshake by clicking the WolfLink tab at the top of your portal account.

    Q: Do I need to provide college transcripts for financial aid purposes?

    A: It is important that you provide all transcripts to Admissions of institutions you have previously attended. The total number of credit hours you have attempted is a key component of Satisfactory Academic Progress and it is important that your academic history be complete. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is a federally required evaluation of a student’s progress towards completion of their degree. The evaluation includes the following three components:


    Qualitative Standard Maintain the minimum WOU GPA that your program requires for good standing (most programs require a 3.00 GPA)
    Quantitative Standard Earn credit in 66.67% of all courses you take as a graduate student (WOU and other institutions)
    Maximum Timeframe Standard Earn your degree within one and a half times the number of credits required to earn your degree (e.g. if your program requires 45 credits, you must earn your degree in 67 or fewer attempted credits) 


    If you do not meet these standards, you are ineligible to receive federal, state, and institutional aid.


    Q: Are there limits on aid?

    A: It is important that you progress toward your degree in a timely manner. Not only are there overall limitations for the total credit hours you can attempt, but there are also Federal funding limits as well.  It is key to utilize tools like Degree Tracks and visits to your Academic Advisor to make sure you are on track to graduate. When you reach your federal limits there is no appeal process.

    The amount of Federal Pell Grant funds you may receive over your lifetime is limited by federal law and is 600% to be roughly the equivalent of six years of Pell Grant funding. The maximum amount of Pell Grant funding you can receive each year is equal to 150%  if you attend Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring terms, however, the Summer term is typically an optional term and not always required.

    Aggregate Loan Eligibility

    Federal Loan Type Award Academic Year Limits Aggregate Limit
    Direct Subsidized Loan

    $3,500 for 1st year (44 credits)

    $4,500 for 2nd year (89 credits)

    $5,500 for 3rd & 4th year (90+ credits)

    $23,000 total
    Direct Unsubsidized Loan

    $2,000 for dependent students

    $6,000 for 1st & 2nd year independent students

    $7,000 for 3rd & 4th year independent students

    $20,500 for Graduate students

    $8,000 dependent student

    $34,500 independent student

    $138,500 Graduate student

    Direct Parent PLUS loan Up to the remaining cost of attendance after the student award. No aggregate limit
    Direct Graduate PLUS loan Up to remaining cost of attendance after unsubsidized loan award. No aggregate limit


    Subsidized Loans

    There is now a maximum eligibility period which affects Direct Subsidized Loan Eligibility for 1st time borrowers ON or AFTER July 1, 2013.There is now a limit on the maximum period of time (measured in academic years) that you can receive Direct Subsidized Loans. In general, you may not receive Direct Subsidized Loans for more than 150% of the published length of your program. This is called your “maximum eligibility period”. You can usually find the published length of any program of study in your school’s catalog.

    For example, if you are enrolled in a 4-year bachelor’s degree program, the maximum period for which you can receive Direct Subsidized Loans is 6 years (150% of 4 years = 6 years). If you are enrolled in a 2-year associate degree program, the maximum period for which you can receive Direct Subsidized Loans is 3 years (150% of 2 years = 3 years).

    Your maximum eligibility period is based on the published length of your current program. This means that your maximum eligibility period can change if you change programs. Also, if you receive Direct Subsidized Loans for one program and then change to another program, the Direct Subsidized Loans you received for the earlier program will generally count against your new maximum eligibility period. For additional information and examples, please review the official announcement from the US Department of Education.


    Q: When is the deadline for scholarships?

    A: Another important deadline approaching is the Early-Bird deadline on OSAC for scholarships; apply before February 15th @5pm here. The absolute last day to apply for OSAC scholarships is the same as when the WOU General Scholarship Application closes; March 1st at 5pm. WOU General Scholarship Application can be found on your portal under the ‘Scholarships’ tab on the mainpage of a students’ portal.


    Q: I’m not eligible for FAFSA, what do I do?

    A: The ORSAA is an alternative to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for Oregon residents who are undocumented, including students who have DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) status. This can also be applied for through the OSAC portal.
    For more FAQs on the specifics of ORSSA, including a checklist and how-to, follow this link: