PACK is designed to help ease your transition into college life at WOU. We’re breaking down the steps over the next few months so that you don’t have to try and get it all done in one day. On this page, you’ll find more information about the Prepare step of the program. We’ve outlined some things you can do from home so that you’re prepared to join us in the fall!
How can I prepare?
Here’s what comes next!
- Set up your WOU Portal and start regularly checking your WOU email—most important communications from here on out will come to your WOU email account to ensure that they are being checked by your, so be sure not to miss important updates.
- Reserve your spot in Housing. Western Oregon has a first-year live-on requirement because we know that living on campus your first year helps you get and stay connected and do better in classes! If you’re a transfer student, did you know that almost half of our on-campus residents are either returning upperclassmen or transfer students? With a variety of housing options centrally located to both campus and Downtown Monmouth, living on campus can be an easy alternative to apartment hunting. You can find out more about living on campus here.
- Accept your Financial Aid Award starting early spring by clicking on the WolfWeb icon or apply for the FAFSA. Learn more about Financial Aid, including how to set up an appointment on their website. You’ll receive an email for any outstanding requirements. Then watch for your award offer, they will start going out early spring.
- We will have PACK Connect Days to help you get connected with campus resources and fellow new Wolves! Registration for this will open in early May for students who have filled out the Intent to Register. You will just need to sign up yourself and your family, friends, and/or guests for one event that will be held July 12th, 14th or 15th for first-year students or June 27 or 28th for transfer students.
Looking for next steps?
If you’re looking for things to do to feel even more prepared, check out this bonus list of things you can do now to prepare for Fall!
- Apply for the Honors Program! Honors is a great way to take some interesting courses, get an honors designation on your degree, and build community. Plus, there are dedicated honors scholarships for every year—every little bit helps. Apply today!
- Apply to be part of TRIO! Western has two TRIO Programs—the Student Enrichment Program and Teacher Prep Student Support Services—for incoming students that identify as being first generation (neither parent/guardian has a 4-year degree), low-income, or have a documented disability. This is a great resource that provides additional support year-round, free First-Year Seminar classes, and more!
- Sign up for more information about Destination Western! Destination Western is our two-week residential orientation program designed to support students who may need a little extra support in math, writing, or the social adjustment of entering college. Applications will open up in June, but you can fill out our interest form today, and we’ll reach out near the end of spring and in the summer.
- Make sure your immunizations are up to date with plenty of time to get them into WOU. Don’t worry, you’ll get more reminders about this via email 🙂