Counseling is available to any WOU student registered for 1+ credits of in-person classes and have been assessed the Student Health Fee. Students taking all online classes my opt-in for the health fee to be assessed to their student account to access services.
All services are confidential and students who have been assessed the health fee have access to unlimited appointments. The health fee is $150 per term.
Students in crisis will be seen immediately and do not require an appointment. If you think you (or a friend) is in crisis, please get to a safe place and call us: (503) 838-8313 or Campus Public Safety (503) 838-9000. All students are able to access crisis services.
Frequently asked questions:
Click here for a list of our most frequently asked questions from students at WOU.
If you would like to make an appointment call 503-838-8313. Students in crisis are seen immediately.
Types of counseling services offered:
- Counselors are state licensed professional counselors, associate counseling trainees and graduate-level counseling interns.
- For the 2021/22 academic year, there are 6 professional/associate counseling staff, assisted by the graduate intern students.
- The most commonly diagnosed mental health illness in the USA is anxiety.
- Counseling in the community (outside of the SHCC) can run from $150-200 an hour. Because our appointments are free, college is a great, affordable time to try counseling!
If you would like to make an appointment, or for more information, call 503-838-8313 or stop by the counseling center. Students in crisis are seen immediately.
Support Groups & Workshops
Throughout the year there will be opportunities to join a group or attend workshops offered by our counseling staff. Students that pay the SHCC fee may attend at no cost, but some groups may require an intake appointment prior to joining. Past topics include, but are not limited to:
- Autism Spectrum Disorders Support Group
- Self Care Group
- Grief and Loss Workshop Series
- Alive & Thriving Counseling Support Group
- “Madly in Love with ME!” A “Daring Adventure” Group for Women
What groups are happening this term?