Student Success and Advising Office

Home » General Education Questions

Why do I have to complete the General Education courses?

The General Education courses are designed to build skills and habits of mind that will help you flourish in your chosen profession and as a citizen of the global community. The GE courses will help build your basic skills in math, writing, communication, critical thinking, and health promotion. The GE courses will provide an opportunity to explore interests you might have.

Where do I start with the General Education courses?

We recommend students complete their foundational courses in their first year at WOU. Foundational courses include WR 121 and WR 122, FYS 107 & 207, and math (if you already have a declared major).

Do I need to complete the General Education courses before I take courses for my major/minor?

The answer is No. For students who have declared their Major/Minor, work with your Advisor to incorporate Gen Ed classes into your schedule.

Can Gen Ed courses also count in Majors/Minors?

Yes! The Gen Eds are designed to introduce students to the majors that WOU has to offer. Courses that are shared between a Major and the Gen Ed will count for both sections.

When should I finish the First Year Seminar (FYS) 107 and 207 courses?

We encourage incoming freshmen to finish their FYS requirements by the end of their first year at WOU. FYS courses must be completed no later than the end of a student’s sophomore year (45-89 credits earned). 

If you are a student who is transferring more than 30 credits to WOU you can petition to have the FYS requirement waived. More information here.

See what FYS courses we offer!

When should I finish WR 121 and WR 122?

Western Oregon University recognizes the key role that writing plays in student success, both in college and your future career. WR 121 and WR 122 prepares students for their academic success. 

We advise students to take WR 121 and WR 122 in their first year, ideally in consecutive terms. 

Example of when you should take WR 121 and WR 122

  • WR 121 during Fall or Winter
  • WR 122 Winter or Spring
Can transfer credits complete Gen Ed requirements?

Yes! Credits from an accredited institution may fulfill certain Gen Ed requirements. Credits which transfer in as elective credit may also be petitioned towards a Gen Ed area, in consultation with an advisor in Student Success and Advising (SSA) and/or a faculty advisor.

Click here for the Transfer Articulation Tool

Can the General Education requirements be completed by credits by exam? (AP, IB, CLEP)

Yes, certain Gen Ed requirements may be fulfilled by credits taken by exam. The student will need to submit an official transcript from the College Board for AP and CLEP, and IB credits from International Baccalaureate.

On my DegreeTracks, the Gen Ed area says that I need 44-70 credits to complete the area. What does that credit range mean?

The 44-70 credit range is there as an estimate for how many credits it typically takes to fulfill all Gen Ed requirements. Since WOU courses range from 2-5 credits, the 44-70 credit range reflects the amount of courses needed to fulfill Gen Ed requirements in terms of credits. Another way to say this is that it takes about 16 classes to fulfill all Gen Ed requirements, and that is assuming the student has no transfer/placement credits coming in towards their Gen Eds already.

Where can I find my Gen Ed requirements?

You can find your Gen Ed requirements in your DegreeTracks and the General Education Program website here.