Every Honors thesis will be professionally bound and digitally published. In order for them to look the best, please follow these formatting requirements:
- MARGINS for ENTIRE document (even tables/charts): 1.25″ left and right margins. 1″ margin top and bottom.
- TYPEFACE AND SIZE: preferably Calibri 12 or 13pt, Cambria 12 or 13pt, or Garamond 12 or 13pt. Times New Roman 12pt also (begrudgingly) accepted.
- TITLES: as long as you need, but some titles may need to be shortened on the cover of your bound thesis.
- SPACING: double-spaced for text and bibliography. Charts, tables, etc. may not be double-spaced.
- LENGTH: varies, based on project. The annual average tends to be around 55 pages.
- COLOR (for printed copies): you CAN use color in your thesis, where necessary (art work, charts, etc.). However, given the large price difference between color & B&W copies, please avoid color when it’s not necessary (for example, hyperlinks needn’t be in blue).
- DIGITAL PUBLICATION: Please communicate with the Honors Director if you foresee submitting two final, differently formatted theses to me. It’s important to know which gets printed, which gets uploaded for digital publication. Our novelists, for instance, typically upload only their reflective essay and opening chapter to Digital Commons, not the entire manuscript.
- TITLE PAGE (Click to download editable template)