SSA Tutoring is offering virtual/online tutoring only for the Fall term. Please click the following link to learn more about how to schedule an appointment: Zoom Tutoring.
Peer-Tutoring is not something you should wait to use until you KNOW you are failing a course. In fact, it is often difficult to help as much by that point. The earlier you get Peer-Tutoring support, the sooner you can begin improving in a course and/or study skill. Peer-Tutoring can also help you gain perspective and learn more about instructor expectations, as our Peer-Tutors are experienced students at WOU who have interacted with many faculty members here. We want you to have a successful, rewarding academic life at Western Oregon University, and peer-tutoring is one part to help make that a reality for you!
Student Success & Advising Peer Tutoring Video
Subjects We Offer Tutoring In
Behavioral/Social Sciences: Anthropology, Sociology, Political Science, History, Criminal Justice, Psychology, Gerontology, Economics, Business
Humanities: Philosophy, Religious Studies, Communication Studies, Linguistics, English, Literature
Modern Language: Spanish, German, French, American Sign Language
Creative Arts: Music, Dance, Art/Art History, Theater
Study Skills Tutoring: Time Management, Test Taking Skills, Study Skills, and Note-Taking Skills.
Please note: Our tutoring services typically cover lower division (100 and 200 courses). Tutoring coverage is dependent on current staffing capabilities.
Reading, Speaking, Listening, and Grammar (English as a Second Language): https://wou.edu/internationalsupport/student-services/academic-tutoring/english-tutoring-center/
Math Center: Math help for lower- and upper-division mathematics courses and FYS 207 wou.edu/mathcenter
Science Center: Help for many science courses wou.edu/sciencecenter/
Writing Center: Writing help for course papers and professional projects wou.edu/writingctr/
Preparing for Your Appointment
Our services at the Learning Center are available to all WOU students, but do have some limitations. We want you to have a successful experience with your tutor. That usually requires some preparation on your part.
- Attend class regularly
- Bring all needed materials to your appointment
- Work on the assignment, reading, etc. before you come to your appointment
- Take charge by telling the tutor what you need
- Tutors are here to support your learning, not do the work for you
- Use your professor as your primary source of information
Tutors are peer students who have been recommended by faculty in their subject area or have proven proficiency in a particular content area. Tutors make weekly available appointment hours that fit their schedules. Sometimes they have other options, please ask if your availability does not match up. Tutors are not always “straight A” students; they do have at least a 3.00 GPA and have excelled in the area they are tutoring. Since everyone has subjects that are more difficult or just require more effort, it is not unusual for our tutors to give help in one area and get help in another. They have learned how to use their resources to succeed.
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible for our tutoring services, you must be a currently enrolled WOU student and registered in the requested class. You may sign up for NO MORE than 2 hours per course per week. Tutoring begins the second week of each term and goes through Dead Week!
Example: If you are taking 4 courses, you may take up to 8 hours of tutoring per week as long as you do not schedule more than 2 hours per course.
Appointment based tutors try to open as many hours as they can with their schedules. Please be considerate with their time.
- Schedule the estimated time you will need
- Arrive a few minutes early and check-in at the front desk
- Come prepared to be tutored
- Cancel your appointment ASAP if you cannot come. You must cancel at least 2 hours prior to your appointment, or it will be marked a no show.
Tutoring is done by appointment. Most tutoring is available one-on-one. Group Tutoring is at the discretion of the tutor. Please consult with your tutor before assuming that multiple people can join your scheduled tutoring session.
Plan to sign up in advance. Some tutors and subjects fill up right away, especially around midterms and finals. Tutors will often try to make extra appointments if they can, but times are first come, first serve. Plan in advance and don’t miss out. Scheduling appointments is cut off 19 hours before the scheduled start time. Thus, if you want an 8AM PST appointment, you must schedule by 1PM PST the day before.
No Tutor Available
If you do not find a tutor available for the course you are seeking tutoring services for, complete the following:
- Come into the SSA and fill-out a ‘Tutor Request Form.’ This lets us know that a tutor is needed in this courses/subject.
- Tutor with your professor during their office hours and encourage them to recommend possible students as tutors to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Create study groups with classmates.
Canceling a Tutoring Appointment
- Log into WCS.
- Click on the appointment you would like to cancel.
- Select the “Cancel This Appointment” button.
- As a matter of courtesy, we ask that you cancel and/or reschedule a reservation at least 24 hours prior to your appointment. This allows other students to use the tutor or for the tutor to make other plans. If you need to cancel on the same day as your appointment, you will need to call the front desk to cancel (503-838-8428). You must cancel your appointment at least 2 hours prior to the scheduled appointment time, or it will be marked as a no-show.
- When you fail to show for a scheduled appointment, you will be marked as a NO SHOW. After 2 “no shows”, you will no longer have access to the online appointment book for the duration of the term. Access will be reinstated at the start of the following term.
Drop in Hours
Stay tuned for updates on drop-in study skills tutoring for the fall!”
If you have trouble making or cancelling appointments, please contact the Student Success and Advising office at (503) 838-8428.
Our goal is to be able to provide academic tutoring to fit your needs. That’s difficult to predict each term and we count on you to communicate your needs. If you can’t work around the scheduled times offered, or we don’t have anyone tutoring the course you need, let us know. You can make a request through the WCS tutoring module. You can also contact us by email to make a request, comment or suggestion. Even though it is not always possible, we will do our best to meet your needs.