SSA Tutoring is offering virtual/online tutoring only for the Spring term. Please click the following link to learn more about how this works, and how to schedule an appointment: WebEx Tutoring
Tutoring is not something you should wait until you KNOW you are failing a course. In fact, it is often difficult to help as much by that point. Be smart and use your resources. We actually have more honor roll students than failing students that use tutors. We want you to have a successful, rewarding academic life at Western Oregon University. Tutoring can also help to build connections and support outside the classroom, which includes navigating campus and opportunities for involvement.
Subjects We Offer Tutoring In
Behavioral/Social Sciences: Anthropology, Sociology, Political Science, History, Criminal Justice, Psychology, Gerontology, Economics, Business
Humanities: Philosophy, Religious Studies, Communication Studies, Linguistics, English, Literature
Modern Language: Spanish, German, French, American Sign Language
Creative Arts: Music, Dance, Art/Art History, Theater
Study Skills Tutoring: Time Management, Test Taking Skills, Study Skills
Please note: Our tutoring services typically cover lower division (100 and 200 courses). Tutoring coverage is dependent on current staffing capabilities.
Reading, Speaking, Listening, and Grammar (English as a Second Language): https://wou.edu/internationalsupport/student-services/academic-tutoring/english-tutoring-center/
Math Center: Math help for lower- and upper-division mathematics courses and FYS 207 wou.edu/mathcenter
Science Center: Help for many science courses wou.edu/sciencecenter/
Writing Center: Writing help for course papers and professional projects wou.edu/writingctr/
2019-2020 Tutor Schedule
Preparing for Your Appointment
Our services at the Learning Center are available to all WOU students, but do have some limitations. We want you to have a successful experience with your tutor. That usually requires some preparation on your part.
- Attend class regularly
- Bring all needed materials to your appointment
- Work on the assignment, reading, etc. before you come to your appointment
- Take charge by telling the tutor what you need
- Tutors are not here to do your work for you
- Use your professor as your primary source of information
Tutors are peer students who have been recommended by faculty in their subject area or have proven proficiency in a particular content area. Tutors make weekly available appointment hours that fit their schedules. Sometimes they have other options, please ask if your availability does not match up. Tutors are not always “straight A” students; they do have at least a 3.00 GPA and have excelled in the area they are tutoring. Since everyone has subjects that are more difficult or just require more effort, it is not unusual for our tutors to give help in one area and get help in another. They have learned how to use their resources to succeed.
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible for our tutoring services, you must be a currently enrolled WOU student and registered in the requested class. You may sign up for NO MORE than 2 hours per course per week. Tutoring begins the second week of each term and goes through Dead Week!
Example: If you are taking 4 courses, you may take up to 8 hours of tutoring per week as long as you do not schedule more than 2 hours per course.
Appointment based tutors try to open as many hours as they can with their schedules. Please be considerate with their time.
- Schedule the estimated time you will need
- Arrive a few minutes early and check-in at the front desk
- Come prepared to be tutored
- Cancel your appointment ASAP if you cannot come. You must cancel at least 2 hours prior to your appointment, or it will be marked a no show.
Tutoring is done by appointment. Most tutoring is available one-on-one. Group Tutoring is at the discretion of the tutor. Please consult with your tutor before assuming that mutliple people can join your scheduled tutoring session.
No Tutor Available
If you do not find a tutor available for the course you are seeking tutoring services for, complete the following:
- Come into the SSA and fill-out a ‘Tutor Request Form.’ This lets us know that a tutor is needed in this courses/subject.
- Tutor with your professor during their office hours and encourage them to recommend possible students as tutors to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Create study groups with classmates.
Schedule a Tutor Appointment
The Schedule a Tutor application is located though the WOU Portal system. Simply click the WCS icon at the top of your Portal homepage, then click the “Get Tutoring” button on the right side of your screen. Select “Course-Based Tutoring” and then select the course you would like to schedule a tutoring appointment. Choose “Learning Center (8am-5pm)” or “Ackerman Lobby (7pm-10pm)” to select an available tutor. Follow the prompts to complete your request. Estimate how much time you will need and ACTUALLY use. Tutoring blocks on the schedule are 30 minutes. Click on the time that works for you and sign up. Each “open” block will last that long. If you need longer than 30 minutes, please sign up for two 30 minute blocks.
Plan to sign up in advance. Some tutors and subjects fill up right away, especially around midterms and finals. Tutors will often try to make extra appointments if they can, but times are first come, first serve. Plan in advance and don’t miss out. Scheduling appointments is cut off 19 hours before the scheduled start time. Thus, if you want an 8AM appointment, you must schedule by 1PM the day before.
Canceling a Tutoring Appointment
- Log into WCS.
- Click on the appointment you would like to cancel.
- Select the “Cancel This Appointment” button.
- As a matter of courtesy, we ask that you cancel and/or reschedule a reservation at least 24 hours prior to your appointment. This allows other students to use the tutor or for the tutor to make other plans. If you need to cancel on the same day as your appointment, you will need to call the front desk to cancel (503-838-8428). You must cancel your appointment at least 2 hours prior to the scheduled appointment time, or it will be marked as a no-show.
- When you fail to show for a scheduled appointment, you will be marked as a NO SHOW. After 2 “no shows”, you will no longer have access to the online appointment book for the duration of the term. Access will be reinstated at the start of the following term.
Drop in Hours
Drop-In Tutoring for Study Skills is available on Tuesdays, 7 to 9 pm, in the Heritage Hall 2nd Floor study room, Weeks 2-10 of Fall, Winter and Spring terms.
If you have trouble making or cancelling appointments, please contact the Student Success and Advising office at (503) 838-8428.
Our goal is to be able to provide academic tutoring to fit your needs. That’s difficult to predict each term and we count on you to communicate your needs. If you can’t work around the scheduled times offered, or we don’t have anyone tutoring the course you need, let us know. You can make a request through the WCS tutoring module. You can also contact us by email to make a request, comment or suggestion. Even though it is not always possible, we will do our best to meet your needs.