Western Oregon University and the Student Success and Advising office (SSA) welcomes students who have not decided on a major or minor. In fact, we encourage you to explore all that our university has to offer. There are numerous campus resources to assist and educate you as you move forward in your educational, career, and life journey.
Start your journey by investing in yourself and actively engaging in the exploration process: taking a personality assessment, or making an appointment with an academic advisor or career counselor to help guide you along your pathway to a major.
Exploratory Quick Facts:
- Did you know that the VAST majority of freshmen are undecided even though most do not know it? It’s true!
- Entering freshman and transfer students are often entirely unaware of the variety and scope of possibilities WOU can offer you.
- The truth is, it is okay, even normal, to be Exploratory. However, it is not suggested you remain exploratory as it becomes stressful, inefficient with your time and money, and ultimately counterproductive.
- Taking responsibility for your education and choosing a major takes time, and involves planning, researching, investigating, weighing out your options, and making a well-informed decision.
Understanding the process of making well-informed decisions and discovering who you are is essential to getting started. Invest in yourself, put in the time and effort required to determine your interests, values, skills, and goals and match them with your educational aspirations. In the end, the decision you make is your own!
The SSA advisors can assist you by providing you with the tools and resources to ensure you succeed; begin by completing the following recommended steps:
- Exploring Who You Are
- Decision Making Process
- Exploring Majors
- Exploring Careers
- Declaring Your Major – See an Advisor in your intended Major.
This information is intended to guide you along your journey as you discover yourself, research and gather academic and career information, evaluate majors and ultimately declare a specific major. Meet regularly with professional academic advisors, faculty advisors, Service Learning and Career Development and Student Health and Counseling staff for guidance and additional assistance.