Most faculty are aware of the basic advising information for international students regarding their visa status:

  • Students need to be registered for a full-time schedule of classes (at least 12 credits undergraduate or 9 for graduate) in order to maintain their student visa.
  • Students can register for only 3 online course credits per term unless their total load is over 12 credits..
  • Depending on whether the student is on a regular 4-year degree plan, has transfer credits, or is part of a 1+3, 2+2, or 3+1 agreement with a foreign university, they may or may not need typical undergraduate LACC, major, or minor courses.

When in doubt about advising, contact or direct the student to one of the International student Advisors in the Office of International Education and Development (Maaske Hall), or Qin Ma, the International Student Educational Advisor, in the Office of International Student Academic Support (APSC 501).