Once you have received a decision from the U.S. Embassy
Please review this section after applying for a United States Visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
All students must inform the Office of International Education and Development at Western Oregon University of the status of their U.S. Visa application, travel information, airport pick-up request and housing information. You can notify OIED by email, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please list the following information:
- Your full name and WOU identification number (V00…..)
- Your contact information upon arrival in the U.S. (phone and email)
- The status of U.S. Visa (approved, denied, or pending)
- Your plan on attending WOU, deferring, or cancelling your admission
- Your flight schedule to Portland International Airport (PDX) in Portland, Oregon (airline, flight number, date, and time of arrival)
- Tell us if you would like to request an airport pick-up from Portland or Salem or not
- Tell us if you have made housing arrangements in the United States of if you may need a temporary place to stay while looking for an apartment or before moving into the residence halls
- Book your flight to the United States.
- Confirm your travel arrangements with the Office of International Education and Development.
- Pack your bag and travel documents. Print and carry the Emergency Contact information of the Office of International Education and Development.
- Keep your passport, I-20 and Admission letter your carry-on. Do not put it in your checked luggage.
Deciding on a Flight to the United States:
When deciding on a flight, please look at the flight calendar, your admission packet materials, and the program start date on your I-20 or DS-2019.
Important things to remember when booking your flight to the U.S.:
- Do not book your flight until your U.S. Visa is confirmed.
- Book your flight to Portland International Airport in Portland Oregon. The airport code is PDX.
- Inform the OIED of your arrival by emailing email@example.com
- Arrive prior to the New International Student Orientation date to secure housing.
- Attendance at the New International Student Orientation is mandatory for all new and transfer international students.
- If you cannot get a flight before the Program Start Date on your I-20 or DS-2019, you will need special permission from the international student advisor to enter the country late. Contact the OIED and explain your reason for arriving late and when you would be able to get a flight to the US. If you cannot attend WOU by the first day of class, you will be required to defer your attendance to a future term. Do not enter the country late without permission or your immigration status will be in jeopardy.
Arriving at Portland International Airport (PDX)
Once you have arrived in the Portland International Airport (PDX):
- Go through the U.S. Immigration and Custom Entry at the Port of Portland.
- Present your Passport and I-20/DS-2019 to officer at the Passport Control. Make sure that every document is returned to you by the officer after inspection.
- Collect your baggage and exit the terminal. International passengers will exit by baggage claim level opposite carousel 10. Domestic flights will need to exit the terminal and go to the lower baggage claim level.
- Travel to Western Oregon University in Monmouth, Oregon.