Living Back at Home

ghost town PDX Carpet

Monmouth, in the Summer (A Ghost Town)              The Famous PDX Carpet

Wow. The transition to home was pretty weird. I was sooooo excited to get back into Portland, but as I write this, I am just now starting to get over the reverse culture shock that I was feeling. I came from a bustling city into Monmouth in the summer time: a ghost town. I came back to very underdeveloped transportation. I came back to food that is very different than the food that I ate in London. And I even came back to a new apartment.

I think that coming back to a new apartment is part of what made my transition home so difficult. I came back to a room that was all packed up, save my bed (Thank you Shannon!) and had to try to feel like I was at my own home. My first night here, I woke up in the middle of the night and had a mini-anxiety attack because I didn’t know where I was at. I was also very confused about what day it was, I was a day behind for half of the week, and unfortunately missed an outdoor skate I had planned to go on.

I also was struck suddenly with the lack of public transportation here. I walked around for the first couple days, like I was doing in London, but it so much hotter here! And I can’t walk to Salem to skate. I was hit with the need to drive, which makes me sad. I very much wish that we could have and underground here, so that people would take that, instead of driving. If it was possible for me to get to my weekly activities without a car, I would love it.

The food was a big issue for me. I came back and wanted London food, but all I had was processed American food. I hate to admit it, but I gorged a little on unhealthy American food when I got back, so that I could get used to it again. But fortunately, I really didn’t enjoy it. And now I have started on a healthier diet. I lost quite a bit of weight in London, and I want to keep it off. So I have been motivated not only to eat healthier, but to get back into the outdoor activities that I love, like surfing and hiking. I am ashamed to say that it took a trip out of the country to get this motivation back, but I am glad that it worked.

Now that I am back in the groove, I am feeling better about being at home. I appreciate the things that I enjoy about Monmouth/Independence, rather than desperately wishing that I was back in London. I feel like I belong here again: this is my town, not London. I have friends and family here, and a job, and school. Of course, that is not to say that I never want to leave again! The travel bug bit me, and I cannot wait for my next adventure: are you ready for me Ireland?