A long awaited journey begins…

Firsts are tricky business. Whether it’s first day on the job, first kiss, or first bite into Aunt Sally’s infamous meatloaf, it can be a challenge to know exactly how to react to each particular situation. I find myself taking the first steps to a journey. I couldn’t be more eager, anxious and overwhelmed.Image

I go to Cape Town South Africa where I will intern with the pop culture publication One Small Seed. Armed with determination, talent, wanderlust, desire to succeed, and my ukulele, I prepare to leave January 7th and will return March 29th.

I have experienced many countries ranging from Slovakia, Germany, and Costa Rica to Australia, the Philippines and Italy, but this trip is a first to an African country and a first to live abroad for such amount of time.

South Africa has always sparked my interest. South Africa has long been the subject of debate concerning inequality, race discrimination, crime, and other crippling features. Despite historical and present hardships however, South Africa continues to be a country that is diverse, dynamic and destined for great things. Working with One Small Seed, I will be able to observe and report on this South Africa. By learning the influences and uniqueness of South African art, music, and literature, I will discover what captures the minds of South Africans daily.

In the early stages of deciding where I would spend the next three months of life, I wanted to write and witness “serious” news- the debates, political arguments, and rallies. When the door opened to work with One Small Seed, I realized the fit couldn’t be more perfect.

Scottish politician Andrew Fletcher once said- “Let me make the songs of a nation- I care not who makes its laws.”  A song or work of art can pierce the mind, change behavior or reflect the climate of a nation more than a law ever could. I plan to accurately and honestly reflect events and boldly stand for news that will inform and inspire the readership.

No matter how many articles I read, YouTube videos I watch, or opinions I gather on South Africa, I am confident I really know nothing at all and can’t wait for the lessons learned, people met, and unexpected journeys had during my time in Cape Town.

I don’t think I am aware of most preconceived notions I have concerning South Africa. Until I quite establish myself in SA, I find myself blissfully ignorant of my ignorance but I am confident I shall be exposed to my presumptuous, westernized view of the world in good time.

I am aware that before my journey ends I will have experienced many beautiful, awkward, exiting and terrifying firsts. Some including: first day on the job and first haircut in a foreign country. Naturally, I hope both these experiences will be positive ones but even if they side with the uncomfortable, I trust any endeavor I commit to will contribute to my grown professionally and personally. As the first of the year approaches so does my anticipation. Thank God the Mayans were wrong about 2012…I have to many firsts too experience in South Africa before the end of the world.

Heather

3 thoughts on “A long awaited journey begins…

1. Your post is insightful, reflective, well-written–just the kind of work I knew you would produce. You have articulated many of the things others feel prior to departure, but that they sometimes have difficulty putting into words. And you are not alone–most of us are ignorant of our ignorance until faced with it. Safe travels and if you make it to the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro (and if you think of it) would you bring me a small stone from the summit? 🙂 Michele

2. I am so excited for you! I love that you are going with such an open mind and eager to learn no matter what is seen on television and you-tube. I truly believe we really don’t know what things are like, until we experience them for ourselves. There is always room for us to grow. Good-luck on your journey to Africa. I cant wait to see what all you have accomplished.

Jenny