Pre-Departure

I’m leaving for Italy in six hours! I cannot believe how fast time has flown. It seems like just last week I was imagining what it would be like to study abroad and how amazing it would be to experience such an adventure. I am really excited for this trip and expect to be way outside my comfort zone. Growing up, I found happiness to be where I was most comfortable and could relax and act myself, and here I am about to embark on the biggest adventure of my life all alone. That being said, that is the main reason why I wanted to do this trip, to expand my horizons and go outside my comfort zone. The good news is that I have already made contact with some people through CIS (Center for International Study: the company in which my trip is set up through) who are also going on the trip. Also, I have been told that I am living in an apartment (European colleges do not have dorms like most American ones) with four to six other people which I have yet to meet.

My interpretation of Italy is that it is kinda like Portland’s Saturday market. Lots of people walking around, a friendly vibe, lots (and I mean LOTS of walking), and a good variety of locals shops to visit. However, that is based on movies, books, and pictures, and is sure to change when I get back to the US.

The biggest thing that is on my mind right now is how much cultural shock I will experience while over there. Will I feel really homesick and just want to hang inside my apartment and not do anything, or will it not affect me at all? Of course I hope that I will not see any effects of cultural shock, but I am confident that if I do, I will work through it.

My number one goal once I get there is to get out and make friends as soon as possible because those are the people I will rely on to keep me sane and help me fully enjoy my once in a lifetime trip.

Michael

One thought on “Pre-Departure

1. You’re asking yourself very good questions about what you might experience in regard to culture, homesickness, etc. And because you’re already asking yourself these questions, you likely will feel tuned to what you’re experiencing internally once you arrive. Safe travels. Michele