There are TWO Minke Whales!!!

I finally got to see The Great Barrier Reef, and even better, I got to snorkel on it! I even swam with whales. I cannot tell you how amazing these last couple of days have been. The first thing we had to do was board a ship called SpoilSport, but once we were on it was well worth all of the traveling we had to do to get here. The first day was a bit rocky for some people because they spent the majority of the day sick and throwing up over the side. Yeah, it was not pretty for anyone, but the crew was absolutely amazing. Before we even got on the ship they knew our names and a little about us. We learned later that they had studied up on us before we came on. Each and every one of them took time out of their day to make sure the sick people were ok and the non sick people (5 out of 22) were entertained as well. We have been seriously pampered these last couple of days.

Once most of the throwing up was over, we got into the water for the first time and it was a life changing experience. Since I can remember I have always wanted to come to Australia and see The Great Barrier Reef. Well, I can now proudly say I have! The one complaint I have is that my camera does not do it justice. It is full of life that is so vibrant that it is hard to take it all in.

It was nasty and stormy on the top but once I stuck my head in I saw a different world. It was calm and quiet and there were so many different fish swimming around unaffected by us. Before this trip I had never snorkelled and I was a little unsure of myself but our group leader Nick took me out personally and swam me around and kept checking on me, I am truly grateful to him. Now, I am happy to say that if i get the chance I will be the first  to pull on a wet suite(no easy task!) and jump right in =)

Although my three days spent on The Great Barrier Reef was more than I could ever describe the best moment was easily getting to swim with Minke Whales. We got woken up at 6:30 AM the second day to our program director yelling, ” Goodmorning everyone, it is 6:30 and we have whales! We have two Minke Whales at the back of the boat!” Let me tell you, I have never gotten out of bed, into a swimsuit, a wetsuit and snorkel gear so fast. I was in the water by 6:36 and swimming with whales. I am actually pretty proud of myself for that. There were two whales and they kept circling us. At one point I was about 10 ft away from one that was swimming directly below me. If I could have I would have swam with them for hours. This was easily my favorite snorkel and I cannot remember ever being so happy to wake up so early.  Katherine

One thought on “There are TWO Minke Whales!!!