The Last Week

Hola,

Tomorrow is my last day in Barcelona – my last chance to see new things and re-visit favorite places. It’s weird to think that this might be my last day here ever. I’d like to come back someday, but I feel like the next time I get the opportunity to travel, I’d rather to somewhere I haven’t already been.

This week has been mostly about checking as many things off my to-do list as possible. I didn’t do everything I wanted to do, but I’m okay with that because it was a really long list. I kept adding stuff to it, more than I could really do in a month. But I did get to check a lot of things off! Like going back to the Cathedral and not getting turned away.

This week I’ve been trying to visit different neighborhoods. I like seeing the similarities and differences between them. For example, Poble Sec has pretty typical buildings and layout, but it’s unique because it has an old air raid shelter and it’s really into theater. I love how every neighborhood here has its own history, traditions, and personality.

Poble Sec

I have also been doing some souvenir shopping and getting gifts for my family and friends. I’m glad I left plenty of room in my suitcase. Earlier today I went shopping on La Rambla. I’ve been there before, but I didn’t get to have a good look around. There are a ton of booths down the street, mostly flowers, which is what the section I was on is famous for. There are also lots of little side streets with all kinds of stores.

A huge market just off La Rambla. Oh, and a Dunkin Doughnuts.

I also stumbled across a cool mural while I was exploring (getting lost in) La Rambla.

It’s of the Cathedral, I believe.

My internship is finished now. As much as I would have loved to just explore Barcelona all day, I did come to enjoy working at the clinic. I was the translator, receptionist, and tech support all in one. I feel like I was doing genuinely important and useful work, not making coffee or doing busywork. My boss, who is really nice, wrote me a letter of recommendation in addition to the WOU employer evaluation form, and she also gave me a gift basket of beauty supplies. The people who work there are so nice. I wish them the best.

I’ll be posting again tomorrow night with my thoughts on returning home. Hasta luego,

Cicely

One thought on “The Last Week

1. I very much enjoyed your descriptions of the different neighborhoods, and I’m glad you went back to the cathedral and were successful entering! I’m also pleased that the internship turned out well and that you feel that you made a useful contribution. The work you were doing was important. You have been in Barcelona long enough now to have begun feeling settled and now you suddenly have to leave. I hope you’ll be able to make traveling an integral part of your life. Michele