Almost Time to Leave….

I can´t believe that I am leaving next week. I´m shocked that it´s been three whole weeks already but at the same time it feels like I´ve been here forever. I´ve become so used to my routine here already, and it´s strange to think that in eight days I will be leaving.

There are still some things that I find difficult or haven´t adjusted to, but for the main part I feel very comfortable here. I know my way around the city, and I even have a favorite grocery store. I still sometimes struggle when people speak Spanish too quickly to me, but even when I don´t quite understand someone, I can figure out what they mean through societal context.

Last weekend I went with a group of people from my program to Portugal. Being there made me realize how well I have adjusted to life here. In Portugal I constantly had to stop to try to figure things out, and it made me realize that I no longer do that here. I remember the first time I went grocery shopping here and I didn´t know that I had to weigh the fruit I bought before I took it to the checker, but now it´s second nature and I was surprised when I didn´t have to do the same in Portugal.

In such a short time I have become so accustomed to life here. The first couple times I saw the cathedral I was totally amazed by it, but now I walk past it every day without giving it a second thought. I still admire it, but it no longer seems strange to live next to something so old and beautiful.

I will try not to take things for granted in my last week here. I´m glad that I have been able to adjust so well, but at the same time it is important for me to notice how different it is here for me to fully appreciate it.

Annelise

3 thoughts on “Almost Time to Leave….

1. There’s something special about becoming part of the daily rhythm of a place that initially seemed very foreign. You have described this well–going to the market with ease, figuring out what something means even when someone speaks too rapidly, walking past an ancient building that no longer seems out of place but rather seeing it as an integral part of where you are. Going to Portugal and having to figure out things again gave you wonderful insight about what you’ve accomplished in Oviedo. Part of the reverse culture shock when returning home is missing that daily rhythm of the new place that has become a part of you. Michele

2. I can relate to a lot of what you are saying. I am in Argentina and I felt so out of place when I got here. I walk the same route to school everyday and I see something new that I didn’t see the day before. So it lets me know to slow down and look at my surroundings because in 3 weeks I will be back in the States and I won’t be able to experience this wonderful life anymore. Enjoy your final days.
    -Melissa

3. It sounds like you have had an amazing experience, and are continuing to appreciate every moment. I think your comment about weighing the fruit was an excellent glimpse into the little things that can feel so foreign initially in a new place. I’m in Argentina, and still trying to adapt to the fact that they make more of “sh” sound for ll and y instead of the “ya” sound. It makes listening that much more challenging, but has provided laughter and bonding with locals along the way. Have a tremendously perfect last few days on your trip!