This is only my…

This is only my second week in Spain, and I´ve already done so much.

One of my favorite things so far has been a hike with a group of other students to the Christ figure that watches over our city of Oviedo. When we left for the hike I was under the impression that it would be an easy stroll… I was wrong. We first walked to the edge of the city, than through a suburban type area before reaching the start of the actual hike. It was very steep the whole way up and took us about two hours to walk up, but only 40 minutes to walk down. As difficult as the hike was, it was worth it when we reached the top and got to see the Christ figure… and the amazing view of the city.

On Saturday I went on a field trip lead by the University of Oviedo to the city of Leon. I liked to get to see some more of Spain, both once we arrived in Leon and from the bus windows on the drive. It is amazing how much variety exists in the landscape here, and how much variety I have seen just within in my district of Asturias.

I look forward to getting more familiar with the area that I am staying in, but I also enjoy getting to see other parts of Spain, and to see how Oviedo fits into the larger Asturian culture.

— hasta luego, Annelise

One thought on “This is only my…

1. Though it takes longer to get to the statue than one expects, it is so worth the effort to see the amazing view.

I’ll look forward to learning more about Oviedo’s place in Asturias. I believe Asturias is the only region in Spain that was never taken over by the Moors, and that makes the history unique. Also, traditional Asturian music is very different from other kinds of Spanish music. The music is hauntingly beautiful and is played on unusual Asturian instruments. Michele