And I Think To Myself… What a Wonder of the World!

This weekend I traveled all the way to the border of Argentina and Brazil to one of the newly named wonders of the world Iguazu Falls. This trip required an 18 hour bus ride on the way there. I sat on the second story of a double-decker bus anxious to start our journey. My four travel partners, all girls, and I planned on leaving Friday night and arriving in the afternoon Saturday. That would give us time to explore the city a little and secure a place to stay the night. Sunday would be spent all day at the waterfalls and then we would ride the bus through the night Sunday night to return home the next Monday. This was the perfect weekend to take this extensive trip because that Monday was the Argentine Independence Day (July 9th). They use it as a day of rest and to get together with family; we would use it for a day to travel.

“I see friends shaking hands…..sayin.. how do you do”

As I sat on the bus, the sky was already dark. We left the station and I watched the lights of the city slowly pass. Soon the lights crossed my window faster and faster as the fast pace of the city faded away. I saw some soccer players practicing under light just before everything was out of sight. Just darkness remained out of my window. The voices in the bus were real low as the girls in my group sat in a row. I sat in front of them next to a small young looking girl. She gazed out the same window I noticed her waving through earlier to a very nice looking elderly couple, probably her grandparents. All of a sudden there was a little bit of a scramble as someone was fallowed up the stairs by one of the bus employees. After a while it subsided. I looked over to the girl next to me and mouthed the words in English, “What, just, happen?” She shrugged and that broke the ice. For the next several hours I talked to her about many things. I found out her name is Anita and she was just finishing high school and is 18 like my sister. I felt like Katniss in The Hunger Game when she meets Rue. She reminds her of her sister Prim and finally has an ally in the arena. I too now had an ally in this arena. I asked her basic questions about herself and told her about me. I learned a lot as she was patient with me. She also wants to be a teacher and I know she will be a great one with how well she taught me.

Image

“I see trees of green…….. Red roses too”

We finally arrived in Puerto Iguazu, which is the city closest to Iguazu National Park. We explored the city and found somewhere to stay the night. I enjoyed being out of the city atmosphere. Seeing how the terrain changed as we continued north was very interesting. There were parts very similar to Oregon mixed with tropical features. I enjoyed seeing evergreens mixed with palm trees. Mostly there were just fields with or without cows. The province of Misiones is known for its red dirt. This unique ground became vibrant in contrast with sidewalks and tiles, now stained red.

Image

“I see skies of blue….. clouds of white”

We finally arrived at the waterfalls Sunday morning and could not have asked for better weather. The day before was gray and overcast. Overnight, the clouds rolled away leaving and beautiful blue sky. At the park we split into two squadrons and dove right in. The “hike through the jungle” was not quite as rustic as Annie and I had imagined as we hurried ahead excited and with no idea how much time we would need to see all of this wonder. We walked and walked until we reached the first sign marked for a waterfall, “Garganta del Diablo” (Devils throat). We went for it not realizing how long our journey would be until we finally reached this massive waterfall. We continued over nearly a mile from island to island over the river that fed into the 500ft. across waterfall. We knew we were getting close when we could see the steam column that spit high in the air over the mouth of this beast caused by the blunt force of tons upon tons of water cast down 90 yards. This natural power forced out attention. I felt sucked in fascinated by this wonder. The spray felt cool against my face as I gazed hypnotized over the railing. I walked away in awe with just a couple of the drops of water that made up this massive marvel still on my face.

Image

“The colors of a rainbow…..so pretty ..in the sky”

Next, we went down below where you can get a panoramic view of all the waterfalls. I suffered from sensory overload with some of these scenes. I watched a perfect picture of a jungle get painted in front of me as I walked along the path. I did not want to look down for a second in fear of missing something. I saw exactly what I thought of if I were to imagine a tropical paradise. Birds flew above the trees of San Martin Island that was thick with rich jungle foliage. Massive waterfalls clashed on both sides of this island as a stood dazed. We stood under the waterfalls and watched the white water bend over the cliff and then rocket down towards us. The thunderous sound drowned out any worry in the world.

Image

We then finished walked across the top of the waterfalls seeing the view the water has just before it curls down and plummets to the world below. The sun rays hitting the mist in the air made rainbows so vivid I swear I could have felt them. There was one point when there was even a double rainbow all the way! To say I enjoyed this once in a life time experience would be an understatement. The only thing I regret is not being able to harvest this amazement that was so tangible as my senses heightened to experience this wonder of the world.

~Cain

5 thoughts on “And I Think To Myself… What a Wonder of the World!

1. Wow! What a great blog post you described the scene much better than I did! I too, was sucked in by the fascinating wonder, and happy to experience it all with the fellow students.
    SHE’S A MORNING PRINCESS!

2. A beautiful post. I haven’t visited Iguazu Falls but your descriptions transported me there. Thank you for a multi-sensory, vicarious journey.

And I’m delighted about the way you are reaching out to the local people–first with the taxi driver when you arrived in Buenos Aires and now with the young woman on the bus. These every day conversations with local people are what help students begin to feel a part of the culture around them. Michele

3. “I suffered from sensory overload” <– Awesome!
    I think that that is one of the best things to suffer from! 🙂 First of all, love the way you used a song in your post! Also it was so descriptive that I totally felt like I was right there with you, all the way to the double rainbow! Made an even more interesting touch that you connected your experience to a book. I'm glad that interacting with locals is going well for you! I talked to someone in the store yesterday because my friend and I needed help buying shampoo for another friend.
    Great use of imagery, great use of your senses and great post! I'm quite happy for you!
    -Em

• Merci Emily!
      I agree. If there is anything I would want to suffer from, it would be that! I just tried to capture the overwhelming beauty of this place. I’m glad I could share just a piece with you. You are also to thank for the idea for the set up of my post and thanks to the all time great Louis Armstrong for the song choice that worked out some nicely.
      Talking to the local people is probably my favorite thing to do! I asked the girl on the bus (Anita) if she could learn any other language what would it be, and she said french because she has danced ballet for 9 years. I instantly thought of you and shared about you to her. She has also danced tango for 6 years wants to teach dance when she is older. Then, I shared that I am actually taking a ballet class in the Fall that I am very excited for! I really enjoyed seeing the global networks of dance that I know you are experiencing so vividly. Enjoy making more international friends! I look forward to hear more about your journey soon!
      adieu,
      Cain