Rylie Horrall | Lifestyle Editor
Thanksgiving is a time generally spent with loved ones, and is a time to think about what you’re thankful for. In addition, it’s a time of giving back, whether it’s donating food to a food bank or volunteering at soup kitchens and homeless shelters. If you’re interested in volunteering for the holiday, here’s a couple options nearby Monmouth.
The Union Gospel Mission of Salem provides an opportunity for those in the community to volunteer to serve food to those in need. Volunteers can sign up to distribute food on Thanksgiving day during the main meal time, which takes place from 11 a.m.–2 p.m., and during dinner from 4:30–7 p.m. Along with serving food, they have set-up and clean-up opportunities for the event. According to their website, they have gotten an abundance of volunteers and may or may not need more for serving food. However, certain food items are still needed for holiday meals, and food can still be dropped off and donated from 9 a.m.–6 p.m. at the Men’s Mission (345 Commercial St NE). More information can be found on their website ugmsalem.org.
Meals on Wheels has a branch in Salem and Keizer through Marion Polk Food Share. Volunteers that are interested can sign up to be a driver that delivers meals to seniors and disabled adults in the community. In addition to potentially delivering meals the week of Thanksgiving, participants can continue to deliver meals post holiday season. Drivers would transport nutritious meals between 11:30 a.m.–1 p.m. on Monday–Friday.
Try asking around as well, because you never know what other opportunities may be around. Happy Thanksgiving and holidays.
Contact the author at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ready, set, go: intramurals and club sports are back
- Smashing barriers, Women’s Basketball topple the Yellowjackets
- Grease fire in the Alderview Apartments on campus draws a crowd but is quickly dealt with.
- Speaker Kim Potowski came to Western to celebrate bilingualism and educate about ways to increase it
- What happened on campus during break?
- War and Peace
- Four out of five Oregon representatives approved President Trump’s impeachment
- Don’t compromise your health, practice safe sex