Whew

OK, crunch time is starting to ease off, for me at least. I’ve still got a lot of random acount cleanup to do, including tracking down people whose V-numbers we can’t find.

Next week I get to work on the Public Relations event submission form and calendar display. That’s going to be interesting; I get to use the PHP scripting language, which I find a lot more fun to work with than the PL/SQL language that we’ve done a lot of our web development in. (My favorite programming language is still Perl… maybe I’ll talk about that sometime when I feel like really boring everybody. ;-} ) Another upside of PHP is that it’ll give the PR folks more control over the look and feel of the system without having to come to us for changes.

I have about a week’s window for that, and then I need to work on the Web migration. We’ve already got a new webserver running on a much faster box than the current one, and we need to get the website files moved over to it and its name changed so wou.edu leads there instead of the current server. The new server will feature an all-new search engine, which will hopefully be an improvement on the current one.

A bit of advance warning for the people who are reading this: we’re probably going to have to reset all the editing permissions on the website. They’ve gotten entirely too tangled over the last three years. I’m going to need to go to each department and find out who has permission to edit what, and make sure they are still able to do that on the new webserver. At least once that’s done, we’ll be able to get rid of thiose little batch files everybody has to run now to connect to the W: drive.

Anyway, I’ve worked my ten hours today, time to go enjoy my three-day weekend!