Pre-Departure: Journey has Begun!

PDX

Finally, the day of my study abroad is here. Today, I am here at the PDX airport waiting to fly out on my journey. I have been in touch with my host family, and they are just as excited as I am to meet. Knowing that I have someone “on the other side” waiting for me makes me feel much more confident. I already know I will love my host mom, and her 2 kids, Nadya and Arian. She has been so nice to help me get prepared. Even though it has all been through e-mail, she does an amazing job by writing in full to give me as much information as I need.

On the other hand, I have been awake sine 10am (Monday), it is now 5:44am (Tuesday). No sleep is what happens when I am just so excited and nervous for this trip! My family was so nervous for me, but being proud of what I am about to accomplish helped them bring me motivation and to not be so nervous. I received much support from my friends and family, the best part was to hear them say that they will see me again soon! Because before I know it I will be back! I am so excited, but I can sense the homesickness kicking in. Maybe it’s the loneliness at the airport, or the goodbyes I had to say to my closest friends, I just hope all goes well so that I can return with many stories. At moments I felt like it was an unrealistic dream, but now, being here, in the waiting are of my terminal, it is real!

naturist-beaches-asturias-spain-3 pre4

I imagine Oviedo, Spain to be as beautiful as everyone imagines. The culture, the beaches, the popular Sangria everyone talks about! But soon I will be looking through my own eyes, and I will share the beauty Spain truly has with all of you!

3 thoughts on “Pre-Departure: Journey has Begun!

1. Luanne, Glad you are on your way!!! You will have plenty of time to sleep on the airplane. Love the beach picture! You will have to make sure you visit and see if its as lovely as the picture shows. Thanks for letting us be part of your adventure!! Kelly

2. You’re experiencing all of the myriad of emotions that come with beginning a new adventure–excitement, hope, apprehension, uncertainty, and some homesickness even though you haven’t left PDX yet. I’m so glad you and your host mom have been corresponding. It is a wonderful feeling to know that the someone is waiting for you at the end of your journey. Safe travels and I look forward to reading more of your posts. Michele

• Hope you had a decent flight and trip over. I was pretty fortunate, other than a seven hour layover in Atlanta. Flights were early and I had my bearings about me to find my spots. I suspect you probably did as well.

I was kind of nervous too, wondering about it all the day before. I got maybe three hours of sleep before I left and had to get up at 3:30 am. But I was just too jumpy to sleep and wanted to get the travels over with, and settle in.

Good luck with the trip and get the most you can out of it. The sun too, as I suspect we will be losing it in England soon.