Before I Leave…

So I leave for my 10 week trip to Queretaro, Mexico tomorrow morning at 7:30. I’m so excited! This whole week of “Spring Break” has been anything but that for me. I’ve been working all day everyday; I barely had time to even pack myself for my great journey, but I’ve done it, and I’m almost on my way!

This is not my first time traveling abroad- I’ve been all over Europe, but this is the first time I’ll be visiting any place that’s so different like Mexico. I can’t say exactly what it is inside me that loves to travel and experience new things, it’s just there. I’m so glad that I have gotten this chance.

As for Mexico, yea. That I’m not so sure about. I have no idea what it’s going to be like, how well I’ll pick up the language, or what the people will be like. But I have a hope that everything will be good. Great even. Everyone keeps reminding me about the dangers in Mexico, like I shouldn’t be going, or like I should be scared stiff. I am just so ready to go. I’m not afraid that anything bad will happen while I’m there, though I am completely aware of the dangers. I think as long as I keep a good head on my shoulders I’ll survive and make it out ok.

I’m so excited for the culture shock down there. And the weather. O my goodness the weather! It’s supposed to be about 90 degrees the whole time I’m there. I can’t wait for that. So unlike Oregon also am very excited to eat authentic Mexican food and see how the people act. I imagine a very nice culture and people who are pleasant and laid back. I hope for that at least. But who knows, right?

I’ll be staying in a host family while I’m in Queretaro for ten weeks. I think that’s the part that I’m most worried about. They are an older couple, and I just hope we can talk and that we will like each other. I also hope that I make a few Mexican friends while I’m there…

I honestly hope everything will go great. I’m trying not to stress or worry at this point and just let everything go. Let’s see how well that works.

Rebekah

One thought on “Before I Leave…

1. You’re beginning this journey with the right attitude—an openness and excitement about learning the language and culture, an awareness about the need to stay “aware,” and a readiness to make the most of your time abroad. Enjoy. Michele