Week Seven: Rose Street and Random Bits of Life

This week saw the start of my favorite season of the year; crocuses.

Image

I don’t care what anyone tells me, crocuses is a legitamate season. A lot of them have been planted along the meadows area, so whenever I walk into the down town area I end up smiling.

My only class this week was linguistics since my writing classes both had a reading week following what was basically the midterm. The presentation in liguistics went fine as far as I can tell, though it was a little short. I don’t have a communications background so I had to rely on my partner to take charge of that aspect, which was slightly complicated by the fact that I seem to be one of the few people in the class who really gets linguistics.

I used the time off to actually make it to Rose Street and the surrounding area. All the highlights are visual so I’m just going to put my commentary in the captions.

Image

They had these mosaics at every entrance from the crosswalks. All of them were slightly different.

Image

This was down a road that seemed more like a “local people live and work here” kind of place over the doorway of one of the buildings. I can’t even begin to interpret what this is supposed to be. Secret society? Summoning ritual?

Image

I’ll admit, I didn’t think there was anyway to keep pay phones relevant in our current technological climate. Well played city of Edinburgh, well played.

Image

There’s your classic spray paint tagging going on, but there’s also a lot of either encouraging – “SMILE!” – or intellectual vandalism in the city too. The intellectual/encouraging stuff also tends to be written in chalk. Encouraging, polite, intellectual vandalism.

Image

I also got a chance to stop by the library, which is closer to my flat, and I thought their method of identifying genre in the young adults section was really clever.

I also spent the time looking around shops that had caught my attention in some way earlier. The most striking item for sale ended up being in the grocery store.

Image

Literally the size of an ostrich egg. I asked one of my classmates the following week and apparently they’re just a hollow chocolate egg that sometimes has stuff inside it. We’ve got giant chocolate rabbits, so I guess I shouldn’t be that surprised.

Then there was this one the walk back from the grocery store.

Image

This was posted in the window of a shop that’s either now for sale or undergoing construction. Don’t put advertisements on the windows? Either way I’m going to avoid the place in case I flypost by accident.

And, finally, I got to meet our vacuum cleaner.

Image

I can’t decide if he’s cute or terrifying…

One thought on “Week Seven: Rose Street and Random Bits of Life