22 hours later…

My first time studying abroad and I get lucky enough to get a flight that has a 22 hour travel time.  I literally lost a day to international travel, I suppose I can officially cross that off of my list, but I am so happy that I did!

When I first landed in Scotland all I saw was the snow.  I expected it but I did not expect as

Snow all around me!

Snow all around me!

much.  I always had this notion that Scotland had a lot of snow, but apparently that is not the case.  The locals do not like the snow here at all.  Seeing as how they have cobble stone streets I can completely understand why, but when I think of Scotland I think of four things: snow, kilts, haggis, and bagpipes.  Three out of the four being correct is not that bad though I have got to say.

The picture to the right is my view from my room overlooking the meadows with Arthur’s Seat in the background.  Just looking at all of the greenery makes it almost appear to be Oregon, but Oregon is much warmer than Scotland.

Road lines in Scotland.

Road lines in Scotland.

The program that I am with was kind enough to provide airport pickup so I did not have to worry about figuring out airport pick-up right after getting off of a 22 hour travel excursion.  His driving though tarified me.  All of the lines on the road are different and he had no problem with dialing and talking on his phone while he weaved in and out of cars,  and for a minute at the beginning I forgot that they drive on the opposite side of the road than we do back in the states, so I was not a fan of that as well.  They have some lines on the road that are rig rag and have not been able to figure out a cause or a meaning as to what they mean.

One thing that did strike me as odd while driving from the airport to my apartment was that they have a lot of Subways, I mean a lot!  In a three block radius you can find four different ones.  I was completely not expecting Subway to have such a huge store front

Delicious Subway!

Delicious Subway!

here, it made me laugh.  I expected McDonalds, but never in my wildest fantasies Subway, but I love it!  I have had Subway so much since I have arrived it is amazing!  Between all of the delicious Scottish food and all of the Subway I am sure that I will be coming home a couple of pant sizes bigger!

-Haylee

4 thoughts on “22 hours later…

1. I had a similar car ride experience in Ireland! My reaction was just sort of staring or maybe smiling in excitement that it was so weird and different! There were Subways in France as well and I, too did not expect that! (It was cooler than in America though because the bread was baguettes and the cheese was way better!) How are the Subways in Scotland different?
    I’m curious about those lines on the street though…thats very strange indeed.

2. I’m glad you’ve arrived safely and that other than 22 hours of travel, the journey was uneventful. I don’t remember seeing Subway when I was in Edinburgh. That’s a surprise to me as well. I’m eager to learn about some of the Scottish food you’re eating. When you have a chance it would be fun to read a post about the food. Michele

3. It’s interesting that there’s so many Subways there. I didn’t go to many fast food places while I was in England — I might have gone into a McDonalds twice. From those experience and from what I heard from other American students, the fast food there isn’t at all like the fast food here. The food is generally fresher, almost more gourmet. I mostly got food from the campus dining hall, and they had a lot of interesting things that weren’t necessarily my favorite. Lots of baked beans and stewed tomatoes at breakfast, a variety of pre-packaged sandwiches (which wasn’t just the dining hall; you can buy packaged sandwiches anywhere in England) and a very mild form of curry. Indian food is England’s equivalent of Mexican food in the U.S.

4. I can’t believe I’m just now figuring out we’re probably in the same building. I am however very glad that I’m not the only one really confused by the lines on the roads and rather surprised by the fact that there are several Subways here.