Hungry in Hungary

Greetings all,

I apologize for the lack of posts recently! I have had some things come up in my personal life and have been working towards peace with that.

In my last post, I talked about going to the Hungarian hospital. I was asked by Michele to elaborate on this experience seeing as it was such a culturally different experience than in America. I was recommended this hospital by both my program and my Hungarian insurance company. It was about 8pm when I  arrived. Upon arrival, I was not asked any medical questions. They asked me for my passport and my insurance card. After handing over the required documents, the nurse continued to ask me why I was in Hungary and how long I have and will be here. From there, she directed me down a long hallway and into a dorm style room. There were six beds, three on each side and there were people occupying four of them. The nurse asked me to choose a bed and informed me the doctor would come see me after 9am the next morning. It was then that I realized this was not a normal American hospital. I quickly tracked her down in the hallway and asked her for my documents back. I was entirely uncomfortable with the situation and decided to go home. When I got home, I found an English speaking “Americanized” clinic. It was so nice being able to go and tell the doctor exactly what was wrong. I felt so comfortable there. Although I wish I could have had the full Hungarian hospital experience, I am glad that I was helped quickly and efficiently.

Since my last post, I have traveled to Munich and Paris. Although I love traveling, it has become quite normal for me to miss Budapest. BP has truly become my home. My friends here have become my family and my routine has become comforting.

As the title for this post suggests, I have become “Hungry for Hungary” I have been attempting to absorb everything about this city and it’s culture. I have traded out my tourist spots for quaint, local restaurants, cafes, and bars.

Image

At the Orchestra!

Also I have been attending local art performances. I was able to go watch the Hungarian Orchestra perform with friends. Our “cheap seats” tickets were even upgraded because it wasn’t a full performance.

With my Hungarian Art and Culture class we went to the Palinka festival at the castle and then to a Hungarian acting company’s performance. The musical was called “A Peasant’s Opera”. It was written and directed by a Budapest native. They provided “subtitles” for English speakers, so we could follow along! It was a hilarious and beautiful performance. For those who don’t know, Palinka is Hungary’s favorite liquor. It is a fruit based brandy, and quite honestly… it is awful! We had to be cultural though!

Image

Palinka Festival

My culture class in front of Parliament before the Opera!

Image

I have 38 days left here in BP and I am trying to make every last minute count. Currently I am in the coffee shop that is a favorite of Hungarian college students. I make a new friend each time I come to study.

I hope all is well with everyone who has made it to the end of this post!

Molly

One thought on “Hungry in Hungary

1. Thanks for writing about your hospital experience. This was definitely a cultural experience. I think if I had been in your shoes, I likely would have sought out a more comfortable, familiar medical facility. When a person is ill, it’s challenging to face dealing with a hospital experience so totally different. Michele