New Friends, Amazing Beach, Narrow Streets, and Delicious Food

Amazingly delicious!

Post for Friday June 29 , 2012

Today was amazing! I love Barcelona so much already and I haven’t even been here for 2 days yet. Today I was reminded of the quote “the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach” because all of the amazingly delicious food we ate and saw has definitely made it’s way to my heart. I LOVE IT! I started off the day by meeting up with everyone in my program at our school and then we went to a place called “Barceloneta” which is by the beach. We walked around for a bit examining the  narrow streets and the architecture of the local homes and then we visited a nearby market with delicious looking fresh foods like seafood, meats, vegetables, and colorful fruits. I already have so many pictures from today that I will probably have to upload more separate from this post. While we spent some time walking by the beach I started to learn some new names and I made a few more friends. The best part of today was our lunch. We had an interesting salad, fried calamari rings with lemon, tiny fried and salted calamari, paella, pan con tomate, and flan for dessert. I thought I was in heaven because all of the food was delicious. This was actually the first time I had tried of any of these foods except for the flan and I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. After lunch several others went to swim in the beach but I had not came prepared for that so my new friend Christal and I walked along the shore and explored parts of the city until we found a place where we could buy a cheap phone to use while we are here. Luckily we did find a place and now we can call and text our new friends which makes things a lot easier when we want to go out together.

Later Christal, her roommate Shelby, and I met up again near the port and explored the streets near the port. We had dinner outside a small restaurant as the sun was setting and we had our first glasses of Sangria in Spain. I also had some delicious shrimp spaghetti. After that we walked through a mall near the shipping dock and we stumbled upon a very fancy McDonalds that offers a much nicer dessert menu here. Eventually we turned back and stopped to look at some cool “pirate” ships. It was one great day. I am beyond satisfied with my first two days here that I cannot wait to see what else Barcelona has in store for me. I feel like I have been here for much more than two days too. I feel as if I have lived here for about a week now. Isn’t that strange?

Sincerely,

Jose

“I like to travel. I love touring, I love playing.” – Lita Ford

“I was always very determined and ambitious, and I knew I would do something that would let me travel and stuff, but I didn’t really know what I would do to get there.” – Rachel Stevens