A true Hungarian adventure…

Greetings fellow travelers!

I apologize for the delay in posting. I had a true Hungarian adventure that prohibited my blog updates… But to tell you that exciting story, I must first tell you about Prague.

Since I last posted, I had the wonderful opportunity to travel to Prague, Czech Republic. While there I was able to experience several new things. The first and most exciting was watching Don Giovanni, an opera written by Mozart, in the original opera house it was premiered in. It was such a thrilling and culturally rich activity. Not many can say they have been where Mozart had once conducted. It was a beautiful experience and the opera house was beyond words! So majestic and beautiful. Sadly, our seats were of the cheap variety and we couldn’t see the whole stage, but the music was outstanding.

Image
My friends and I before Don Giovanni.

My favorite part about Europe thus far has been the ease of travel. I have loved every minute of being in Budapest, but I also have loved every minute of being in Vienna and Prague. I love being so close to so many diverse cultures and being able to experience them firsthand. Back home, it is so easy to dream and wish that I could learn and grow culturally, but here… It is so easy to accomplish all those goals. I have learned so much about myself and so much about the cultures I am surrounded by. I am so excited to see what else there is to learn!

Now… To the adventure. While in Prague, I got really sick. My travel-mates did as well. So the atmosphere of the group was not as exuberant as it should have been. Although we made the best of it, being healthy would have been preferred. When I returned home to Budapest, I quickly realized this was not an everyday flu. I needed to see a doctor and get some medicine. Through my program I was recommended an emergency room. So without wasting time, I hopped on the metro and headed there. I knew they weren’t going to speak much English, but as a positive person, I was hoping for the best. I arrived at the hospital, alone, and quickly realized I was not in America anymore. Long story short, I was scared and alone, so I left and went to the American clinic on the other side of town. Having experienced the medical system, I feel like I know a little more culturally about Hungary. It was an eye-opening experience and it really makes me grateful for the amenities we are blessed with back home.

Although it wasn’t a positive adventure, it was still an adventure. I hope all is well with you all and wish you the best of luck in your classes!

-Molly

One thought on “A true Hungarian adventure…

1. I’m so sorry to hear you got sick. I’m glad to know you feel better now. It would be interesting to learn more about what you observed about the Hungarian medical system compared to the American system. If you have a chance, write a post about what you saw and learned. And take good care of yourself. Michele