The Land of Festivals

Greetings all!

I hope this post finds you all well. Classes have officially started for me, I am taking several very challenging math classes and I love that I am surrounded by other students who have my fervor and desire to study math. It is really rewarding to be working alongside some of the brightest math students in the world. Not to mention, my professors are some of the most brilliant mathematicians in the world.

Image

My first day of school!

I have learned that Budapest truly is the land of festivals. Each weekend there is a new one… Beer Festival, Wine Festival, Horse Racing Festival, Chocolate Festival, etc… I have been privileged enough to attend all of these except the Chocolate Festival. It is amazing how many people attend each event. Since Budapest is the capital of Hungary and is the largest city, people from all over the country come to these festivals.

At the horse racing festival, we were able to taste some Hungarian specialties. We had pork that had been roasted whole and served with a very greasy sauce in a bread bowl. It was so hearty and very traditional of a Hungarian meal.

Image

The really greasy pork dish! So delicious though!

We were also able to visit the Magyar (Hungarian) National Bank on the one day a year they provide tours. We had forints (money) printed with our faces on it! So I officially have my own currency. 🙂

Image

My own currency!

I also was able to travel to Vienna this past weekend. It was such a beautiful city filled with the most friendly people you will ever meet. I was lost (imagine that!) and found a lovely old woman to ask for directions. Most people I have asked for directions just point at the correct bus, tram or metro I need to take. This woman escorted me to Belvedere. She hopped on the tram with me; seeing as she spoke zero English and I, zero German, I thought it would be a quiet ride. She proceeded to point important buildings and monuments out to me and tell me all about them in German. Although I couldn’t understand what she was telling me, I knew she genuinely cared and wanted to show me her city. Upon arrival at Belvedere, she pointed me in the correct direction of the entrance and hopped on the tram headed back the other way. Her kindness was astounding to me. I have never been treated so kindly as a visitor in all my life.

Belvedere was the most beautiful place I have ever seen in my life. It is home to my favorite painting, “The Kiss” by Gustav Klimt. As it is his 150th birthday, they were having a special exhibition for his work. When I finally found the room with “The Kiss”, I was floored. It did not disappoint, it was so beautiful and perfect. I have never been so moved by something in my entire life.

Image

Upper Belvedere, where “The Kiss” is housed.

My weekend finished by doing a bike tour of the city, visiting the palace and the famous Spanish Riding School. I have dreamed of being a rider there since I was a little girl doing horse 4-H. It was truly a very exciting experience. My weekend in Vienna was so wonderful, but on the bus ride home, I was excited to get back “home” to Budapest. It is interesting how your mind frame shifts. It wasn’t too long ago I was still considering myself a visitor, but now, I really call it home. At least for the next 3 months. 🙂

– Molly

One thought on “The Land of Festivals

1. I am so delighted for you. You’re in classes with math loving students and you are taught by brilliant math professors; you’re in the land of festivals, and you met a wonderful older woman in Vienna this weekend who didn’t speak English but the language barrier didn’t make any difference. Keep embracing your experience the way you are. You are learning at a deep and lovely level. Michele