Pre-Departure Mash Up

I never thought I would feel anxious about this trip to Guatemala, but I need to admit that I am. This past Saturday I returned from a week long trip to northern California with my Mom to see my Nana, Uncle Skip, and my cousin Holly. When I got home, I had overwhelming feelings of anxiety and sadness. I couldn’t understand why. Was it because I missed my family? Was I scared to leave my friends? Was I nervous about speaking Spanish? To help find some advice I sought out my roommate Emily who has just returned from her own study abroad adventure in Argentina. While I was sobbing in the shower, I asked her, “Emily, what’s wrong with me?” and she said, “Shannon! There’s nothing wrong with you!” On the other side of the shower curtain she explained to me that yes, there will be good and bad days, yes, you will struggle understanding people, and yes, you will be home sick. But, the experience of growing and learning about myself in another language and culture is one of the most challenging and certainly the most valuable. She assured me that I am ready for this adventure and that everything in my life has only prepared me more for it. In the end, I think I just needed a solid pep talk.

Now here I am. T-minus 12 hours to a three month adventure of a lifetime. Am I ready? Well, that depends. I have my suitcase packed, my finances in order, and my passport on hand. Said my farewells, hugged, kissed, and waved goodbye. But, even after all that I may never be ready. It’s kind of like what I’ve heard about parenting – you’re never ready to be a parent. You just do it and see what happens. So, that’s what I’m going to do.

In the wise words of my Papa, “Don’t look back, Shanny, you can only look forward.”

One thought on “Pre-Departure Mash Up

1. You are going to be amazing while you’re abroad on this internship. Emily was right. You are ready. You can do this. And Tina and I are here for you if you hit a rough spot in the road. I love what your Papa told you. Listen to him. You are moving forward and entering an amazing adventure and learning experience. It won’t always be easy. And some days you will wish you were home, but in the end you will be glad that you stuck with it. Michele