The first few days in Budapest!

Greetings All and welcome to my journey in Budapest!

Image

Upon arrival in Budapest, I felt the full range of the emotional spectrum. Of course I was excited… It was the most overpowering emotion, but I was also very scared. I have never lived alone in my life, let alone in a foreign country! It was overwhelming trying to keep my emotions in check… I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry! I was so happy to finally be here!

I was greeted by my program director in the airport. She even had a sign with my name on it, I felt like a celebrity! She helped me gather my bags and take them to her car. She drove me to my apartment, which seemed like forever away from the airport! I sat in the backseat trying to absorb it all… I was searching for useful shops or landmarks I wanted to visit… I soon encountered what will be the main challenge I will have to overcome: I know absolutely no Hungarian!

When I got to my apartment, it was already dark… So I didn’t get the chance to appreciate the beauty. It is definitely bigger than expected. I am looking forward to putting a few little decorations up to make it my own.

My first full day in Budapest, I was able to buy a few groceries and go exploring! I met up with one of my friends for dinner, I couldn’t read the menu… I did understand “gnocchi” and “pesto”, so that is what I had for my first meal!

Image

That night, we went to city park with some other people from my program. We were able to see a beautiful “castle”, where no royalty has stayed in but is still considered a castle. It was really, really pretty at night and I wish this picture could capture the beauty.

Image

Later, after walking through the park, we found a Hungarian band playing American music! It was quite entertaining and we had a blast listening to American rock classics! It was a great way to bond with the people in my program.

Image

The first few days I have spent in Budapest have been everything I could hope for. It is scary being such a small person in such a large city, but I know that I will soon call it my home. The Hungarians I have met have all been very friendly and welcoming. I hope to meet more so that I can find all the great local places.

Until next time, I’ll be hitting the pavement with my map in hand and hopefully getting lost in all the treasures this place has to offer!

Viszlát!

Molly

One thought on “The first few days in Budapest!

1. You have all of the contradictory emotions that arise when arriving in a new and unfamiliar place–wonder, excitement, fear, curiosity. I can hardly wait to see where your map takes you in Budapest. Good luck and happy blogging. Michele