Pre-Departure

In my case, a journey of 5810 miles begins with a single step. I will depart Friday August 31st for my next adventure.

Budapest, Hungary will be my home from September 1st through December 21st. During this time, I plan to take three math courses and one culture class. I have contacted almost everyone that will be participating in my program.

As I am diving in head first to a culture that I know little about and a language I know zero words in, I am a bit apprehensive. I have read cover-to-cover two Budapest travel books and have tried to learn the basic cultural norms. For example, I have learned that while dining at a restaurant, it is rude to leave the tip on the table. The polite thing to do is to hand the waitress the tip directly.

I do know that art is very prominent in Hungarian culture. An appreciation of the arts is shown through the 223 museums and galleries in the Budapest city limits alone. I am excited to be able to tour these museums and hopefully I have the chance to visit an opera house.

They regard cattle, dogs, Thoroughbred horses and swine as national symbols. I grew up on 11 acres outside of Roseburg. We have always had dogs and horses. I have also raised several pigs and calves. I hope that my appreciation of these animals will help me relate to the Hungarian’s appreciation.

Hungarians also have a spirit for celebration. They have several national holidays and festivals. I will be able to attend the Autumn Festival. I look forward to celebrate and learn the cultural dances and experience the favorite foods of Hungary.

Image

As with any new experience, I have my reservations about this, but I hope that my new friends will become my “family” away from home.

Wish me luck fellow travelers!

Molly

One thought on “Pre-Departure