I guess that means I’m leaving soon!

After a summer of living among Douglas Fir trees, deer and a multitude of children, it is finally time for me to travel abroad. Camp is always an amazing experience, not only because of the chance that I have to change my campers’ lives, but also the confidence that I find in myself by the end. If I can clean a soiled sleeping bag at 3 in the morning and handle the night terrors of 8 year old girl then I can do anything! Right? Of course I can!

I can’t lie, I am incredibly nervous. It’s very surreal to think that in less than 24 hours I will be flying to Sweden, where I will stay for the entire year. I also find it strange that my life can fit into one suitcase (although it is the largest suitcase I could find).

Being a political science major, I think I have idealized Sweden perhaps too much. I see Sweden as a haven for equality and socialized medicine. Sweden is a place that, politically speaking, is doing things right; They are by far one of the happiest countries in the world and are very progressive. I can’t wait to see what I learn from my peace and development courses! I am excited to learn about peace in a country that practices what it preaches!

-Maren

3 thoughts on “I guess that means I’m leaving soon!

1. Anyone who can calm the night terrors of an 8 year old girl at camp will definitely succeed anywhere! I’ve not had the opportunity to visit the Sweden site, but I have several good friends and colleagues at that site, and I think you will find the Swedish people open and enjoyable. I look forward to learning more about the Peace Studies Program as well as your first impressions when you arrive. I’ve been reading several Swedish novelists lately, and I’ve been thinking about Sweden in a different way. I will enjoy learning from you. Michele