New Generation of Leaders!

As July comes to an end, it makes me recall all the memories I have made in Honduras. It’s sad to think that my internship is almost over! Already my host family has been asking me “when are you coming back?” But I know very well that I might not come back. What can someone say in a situation like that? It breaks my heart to plan out the next week in front of them, because the family would love us to stay. This crazy week was full of factory visits, final visits to union and workers. However, the most exciting plan this last week was a visit to the CDM (the center for women’s rights). The CDM is a non-profit that serves women of the community to learn about globalization, domestic abuse and law violations among other topics. The center certifies women as union promoters at the end of the 12 week program. There I attended a class that was made up of unionized women from different industries (farm/maquila) with two lawyers and community organizer as their teachers.  It was amazing to hear all the women’s point of view on society and the treatment of women in everyday life. All the women at their graduation which I attend as well spoke about the importance of the CDM because they don’t even teach that type of material at universities. This organization highly impressed me and even inspired me, because the women really were transformed into great leaders.

Joanna

Image

One thought on “New Generation of Leaders!

1. You have done some amazing work this summer in Honduras. Having invested so much of yourself in this project and now having to contemplate returning home must be very difficult. I feel privileged to have followed your journey. Through your writing, the struggles of these lovely Honduran people have come alive. Right now it may seem that you might never return to Honduras, but leave the door open in your heart because life has an interesting way of taking us
    exactly where we need to be at any given moment in time. Michele