Arrival Post

Well, I made it! The trip here to Oviedo wasn´t completely smooth but I made it here safely and with all of my luggage.

I was a little nervous about my first time flying alone internationally, and when I arrived at the Madrid airport it proved to be a challenge to make my connecting flight. When I arrived at the airport I asked a desk attendant for my airline which gate my next flight would leave from, but a gate hadn´t yet been set. All she could tell me was that it would be one of the “M” gates. The Madrid airport is very large and complicated with escalators and trains to the different areas, but I managed to find the right area without too much trouble… until I arrived there and found that my flight had been moved to a completely different section of the airport! I was terrified that I would miss my flight and have to make new arrangements in Spanish, but I was able to make it to my gate before the plane began loading. After this one problem I was able to make it to my dorm without much trouble, and am now settled in.

Spain played in the Euro Cup on my first day here. Although I´m not usually interested in sports, I was excited to get to experience such an important event. Several of the students in my dorm went out to a bar to watch the game, along with what seemed like most of the city. After the game my group went to a plaza where we had been told people would congregate if Spain won. The plaza was packed with people, and policemen were directing traffic away as people yelled and waved flags out of their cars. Locals were celebrating the win by jumping into the large fountain in the center of the plaza, and after we were told that “we weren´t real Spaniards unless we went in” we decided to join.

Image

I am so glad that my first night in Spain I got to experience an event that the people here are so enthusiastic about. It is a very unifying event; during the game people were gathered around televisions that had been moved outside, and when something important happened in the game we could hear cheers and gasps from the street. After the game people from small children to elderly women were shouting and singing together. My first night set me at ease; it is sometimes difficult for me to communicate, but I have seen what a wonderful country this is, and how friendly and unified the people here can be.

I look forward to getting to see these qualities in daily life, but I am glad that I was able to experience this special event.

–Annelise

4 thoughts on “Arrival Post

1. How exciting that you got to join the World Cup festivities on arrival! And I’m delighted about how you navigated your way through the Madrid airport and made your connection in spite of the gate changes. Now you know that you can handle any other challenges that might arise. I very much enjoyed my time in Oviedo several years ago. The people were wonderful, especially the AHA on-site staff. I’m so glad you’re off to a positive start. I’ll look forward to more of your posts. Michele

2. Annelise,
    You are a lot braver than I am. I never could have navigated flying abroad by myself. If Karie Mize didn’t come with us from the beginning, I honestly can say that I would not have came to Argentina. So I envy you for accomplishing that whole situation on your own. That’s awesome! As for arriving in Spain at such a great time, I bet that was a night that you will never forget. The first day in Buenos Aires the bus drivers were on strike. So the largest street was closed and there was a huge parade of people filling the streets and marching down the road. It was so amazing to see because that never would have happened in the states. I am excited to hear about the rest of your trip, hope things go well,
    Melissa

3. Hooray for making connections! I had a few tricky ones myself. A delay in Chicago meant a rebook in London. Sheesh! I’m glad that you made it. I can relate to your nerves and sense of accomplishment for traveling alone!
    I think it is so special that you got to be totally involved with such a culturally important event so soon! I have only manged to do some random touristy wandering since arriving in Salzburg.
    I also think your positive and grateful attitude is really inspiring. Its fun to follow these blogs and see that I am not alone in my feelings! I look forward to hearing more about your adventure!