I made it to Argentina!

The airport in Argentina was one of the things that I was most apprehensive about. I mostly wasn’t sure if I was going to understand what anybody was saying. I got past the first couple check points with some ease of access. I had to pay $160 to enter their country for 7 weeks. I think that was kind of steep but it’s all going to be worth it.

Customs was another thing that I had never experienced, but I have thought about it a lot previous to this trip. What are they going to throw away in my bag? Can I not have my medications? Are they going to detain me in a private room or what? It ended up not being as bad as I thought. I put all my bags on a conveyer belt and they were scanned through a computer and everything was fine! It was much over-anticipated.

Image

When we departed the airport in a taxi was another story. Our cab driver was very nice but he was not a good driver in my opinion! I guess they don’t care too much for pedestrians here because we did not stop for one. He just honked the horn and kept going. The two other students with me were positive that a bicyclist actually hit us at some point during our ride but I guess I was too focused on wanting to arrive at the hotel in one piece that I don’t recall it.  Melissa

3 thoughts on “I made it to Argentina!

1. Hola Melissa,
    I didn’t hear about your taxi driver – yikes! So glad you’re here and on this adventure. $160 is ridiculous but as you say, so worth it for a transformative experience! xoKarie

2. Hola Melissa, Welcome to Argentina! You’ll find that the driving is so much different. Yikes, the first time my driver ran a stop sign and then didn’t stop for pedestrians freaked me out, but that’s driving in Argentina–a good lesson to learn early on that you don’t have the right of way as a pedestrian. Anticipatory anxiety is common before traveling. Even though I’ve traveled a lot, I still experience it before departure. And when I went to Kenya and Tanzania last year, I really had anticipatory anxiety because I knew Africa was going to be so different from any continent I had visited before. I look forward to reading your posts. I know you’re going to do well. Michele

3. To put things in prospective, $160 is chump change compared to what some people go through to get into the United States. I am blessed to only be able to imagine. Also, I am pretty sure that it was a car that bumped us instead of a bicycle and the driver either did not notice or did not care either. Crazy introduction to the country for sure!