Student Enrichment Program
The Student Enrichment Program provides services and a supportive environment to equip students who are first-generation, low-income, or have documented disabilities with skills to be successful in college. The purpose of this federally funded TRIO Student Support Service is to increase the retention and graduation rates of this student population.
Students may qualify for admission to the Student Enrichment Program in at least one of the following ways:
- Be a “first-generation” college student. (Neither of your parents has a Bachelor’s degree)
- Meet federal financial eligibility requirements.
- Have a documented physical or learning disability.
What services are available?
SEP offers the following free services to its participants:
- Academic advising for students as they proceed through the General Education Program, choose a major, and file a degree plan.
- Partnering in the Destination Western residential orientation program to assist students with making a successful transition into the WOU community.
- Assistance working with various departments on campus to understand university policies and procedures.
- Support advising for personal concerns and career goal setting and post baccalaureate opportunities.
- Individualized instruction with professional staff in reading, speech, study skills, writing and critical thinking skills.
- Seminars on topics of interest to students, such as: study skills, stress management, campus and community resources, time management, deciding on a major, financial aid, scholarship research, graduation requirements, study abroad opportunities, continuing post-baccalaureate education, etc.
- Admission to cultural enrichment activities to help students broaden their awareness and get to know other students.
- Availability of textbooks, laptop, voice recorders, graphing calculators, resource materials, and a lending library for checkout to participants
- Organized social programs to promote interaction among SEP participants.
Where can I find the application?
When is the due date?
We do not have a deadline. You may apply anytime of the year.
What if I only meet one of the eligibility requirements?
Apply! Each application goes through a review process to determine eligibility and need, and you only need to meet one eligibility requirement.
Do I have to be admitted to WOU before I apply for SEP?
No, you may apply anytime.
I’m a transfer student. Can I apply?
Is there a limit to the number of students you can serve?
Our program is limited to the number of students we can serve. We may put you on a waitlist if we are at capacity.
What happens if I’m put on the wait list?
We will notify you if we have an opening. Don’t forget to check in and let us know you are still interested.
The SEP Office is located at the middle of the 154-acre campus on Church Street, in the Advising Center behind Todd Hall.
Student Enrichment Program
Western Oregon University
345 N. Monmouth Ave.
Monmouth, Oregon 97361
SEP E-mail and phone number
Phone: 503.838.8550 (TTY Accessible)