General Education Program
Home » Transfer Students » Transfer Student ResourcesMenu
Transfer Student Resources
Transfer Degree Criteria
The criteria of what transfer credits can be accepted as equivalent to the WOU General Education program requirements.
Transfer Articulation Tool
The Transfer Articulation Tool enables you to search for equivalent courses between WOU and other institutions. This tool can help you determine which courses you will be transferring to WOU have equivalents that may fulfill General Education requirements.
A number of Associate’s Degrees are recognized as equivalent to WOU’s General Education requirements.
From Oregon Community Colleges:
- Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer Degree (AAOT)
- Associate of Science Oregon Transfer in Business (ASOTB)
- Associate of Science from Linn-Benton Community College
- Oregon Transfer Module (fulfills all requirements except Integrating Knowledge, 6-8 credits)
From institutions in other states:
- California: Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) and California State University General Education (CSU GE)
- Florida: Associate of Arts in Business Administration from Hillsborough Community College, General Education Associate of Arts from Florida State College Jacksonville, Hillsborough Community College and St. Petersburg College
- Hawaii: Articulated Associates of Arts from University of Hawaii
- Idaho: Associate of Science from Idaho State University
- New Mexico: Associate of Arts in Sociology from Central New Mexico Community College
- Washington: Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA)
- Wyoming: Associate of Arts in American Sign Language from Casper Community College
Oregon Transfer Compass
In 2017 the State Legislature passed House Bill 2998, a bill designed to streamline transfer between Oregon’s community colleges and public four-year universities. The legislation directed the HECC to bring together community colleges and universities to establish statewide “foundational curricula,” now called the Oregon Transfer Compass, of at least 30 credits that can be transferred to every institution in Oregon. The course distribution requirements of the Oregon Transfer Compass can be found here
The fulfillment of WOU General Education requirements by the Oregon Transfer Compass is identified in the table below:
|Oregon Transfer Compass Curriculum||WOU General Education Requirement|
|WR 121||Foundations: WR 121|
|Arts & Letters||Exploring Knowledge: Literary and Aesthetic Perspectives|
|Social Sciences||Exploring Knowledge: Social, Historic, and Civic Perspectives|
|Natural Sciences||Exploring Knowledge: Scientific Perspectives|
*Also meets the cultural literacy requirement
Western Oregon University is an Interstate Passport network member. Upon completion of university identified passport requirements, the university records completion of the Passport on the student record. The Interstate Passport enables successful transfer of a block of lower-level general education learning to other institutions participating in the Interstate Passport Network. Learn more at https://interstatepassport.wiche.edu/.
First Year Seminars
Students transferring to WOU with 30 or more credits of coursework completed in a college or university course are assumed to have met the spirit and purpose of the First Year Seminars, so the FYS courses will be waived (Accelerated Placement credits do not count toward this 30 credits). This is in alignment with the Oregon Core Transfer Map and institutional policies at other Oregon public universities with similar seminars.
If you still need to fulfill your First Year Seminar requirement, you can view the current course offerings on the First Year Seminar page.
If you have courses from your prior institution or a transfer degree that do not currently articulate with General Education requirements at WOU, feel free to submit a petition requesting that your courses or degree be allowed for General Education credit.
The Director of General Education and General Education Committee employ a set of criteria for assessing and evaluating Associate’s and other transfer degrees for equivalence to WOU’s General Education requirements. For reference, here are the criteria: https://wou.edu/gened/petitions/