Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


If the same course is required in both my major and minor, what do I do?

Talk to your advisor about a course substitution. Since the same class can’t be used to meet both major and minor requirements, another class will need to be substituted in either the major or minor.



For my Upper Division Focus area in the Business major, will the list of required upper division courses in the major count there as well?

No. The 24 credits in the Upper Division Focus area are separate from courses explicitly required in the major or minor. The 24 credits are included in the overall 73 credits required in the Business major.



How do I declare my focus in the Business major?

The upper division focus area is your opportunity to specialize in the Business major, if desired. Areas of specialization include accounting, finance, international business, management, marketing, and sport management. The focus isn’t officially declared, or recognized, on your degree evaluation (Degreeworks), diploma, or university transcripts.



If I complete all of my major and minor classes, will I be done with my Bachelor’s degree?

Not necessarily. Consult your Degreeworks degree evaluation, read all the “fine print”, and make sure all required items are checked off or in progress. Lacking requirements may include the minimum 180 credits for a Bachelor’s degree, 62 overall upper division credits, 2.0 grade point average, writing intensive course credits, LACC requirements, etc.



When should I start taking classes in my major?

We recommend starting with the Liberal Arts Core Curriculum courses (LACC) first. You should have completed most or all of your LACC courses before enrolling in upper division Business and Economics courses.



Can I earn upper division credits at a community college?

No. Community colleges do not grant upper division (300 and 400 level) credit. Even if the course title is the same as a required upper division class at WOU, the community college course will not meet the requirement because it is not an upper division course.



What minor can I have if I am a Business or Economics major?

You can pretty much choose any minor that is different from your major (you can’t major and minor in Economics). Although our division offers minors in Business, Economics, Sport Management, and Entrepreneurship, you are not limited to these areas. We recommend you weigh your interests, coursework, and future goals to choose a minor.


What is considered a passing grade in my major and minor courses in the Division of Business and Economics?

A passing grade is above an “F” for major and minor courses. Thus, a D- in a class counts. However, if a Business or Economics class is required in another major, consult that department to inquire about grade requirements.



If I take a class somewhere else with the same title as a WOU class, will it transfer to WOU as the same class?

Not necessarily. Always check on the Registrar’s office webpage to see how a course will articulate at WOU at: Transfer Articulation (requires WOU Portal login.)



I took upper division Communications courses for a) my upper division Business focus, or b) my upper division Economics major classes. Why aren’t they showing in the right place on my degree evaluation?

These classes will not collect automatically in the Business or Economics major. You should consult with an advisor prior to enrolling in these classes, to ensure that these will be permitted as substitutions.



Can I take a class for the Business major if I haven’t been officially admitted into the major?

Yes. Provided you have met the course’s prerequisite and class level requirements, you can register for classes within the major, even if you haven’t taken all of the prerequisites for the Business major yet.



How do I find a faculty member?

Office locations and office hours are listed by the front door of West House. If you can’t come during the office hours, contact the faculty member by email.



What’s the difference in the Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts degrees in Business?

In general terms, the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree requires 11-12 credits of Math, Computer Science, and Quantitative Literacy courses.  The Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree requires 6 credits of Math, Computer Science, and Quantitative Literacy courses and 2 years (or equivalent) of college level foreign language.  The additional Math, Computer Science, and Quantitative Literacy credits of the B.S. degree are already included within the requirements of the Business major.



Is there any other advice for a new major in the Division of Business and Economics?

Don’t wait to take Math! Take the placement test and get into the appropriate Math class (MATH 111, not MATH 105) as soon as possible when you come to WOU. Putting off taking Math 111 is one of the main reasons students don’t graduate on time.


More questions?  Please talk to your advisor, come to West House 113, or call (503)838-8421.









Division of Business and Economics

(503) 838-8421 | or e-mail: