Moose and Glass

Mr. Moose Moose again These little (or should I say big?) guys I saw at a moose park I visited with many other exchange students on a trip organised through my university. We were so close I could have petted one, but something about that didn’t sit right in my mind, so I kept my hands to myself. Moose are a symbol of Sweden and apparently also cause a good deal of car accidents because they like to run across the road and people like to drive really fast. There was a little scene set up inside the moose park gift shop that featured a real stuffed moose that had been hit by a car. It had done some damage to the car! So be careful while driving your cars here in Sweden!

On this trip, we also got the chance to see some real glass blowing! Glass blowing is a tradition in this part of Sweden and we were able to see the best glass blowers in the area do their work, right in front of us! Super neat. We were also able to see a museum of many of the older pieces that the artists had made.

Lost in translation moment: I was speaking to my French friend at the glass museum and I asked what he thought of all of it (in English) and he told me that he thought it was very cool, but he was still a little confused. I then of course asked why he was confused and he told me that he thought we were going to visit an ice museum (I don’t really know what that means, but it’s not the point anyway). He had been confused because the word glass (not the same spelling, obviously) in French means ice, ore ice cream. So he had been very excited the whole day to see ice sculptures, and then when we arrived he found out what glass really meant in English.

Watching professional glass blowers.

Watching professional glass blowers.

In the glass museum

In the glass museum

xxx Maren

One thought on “Moose and Glass

1. This sounds like a really interesting excursion–moose and glass blowing! And aren’t the “lost in translation” moments some of the most unexpected and often humorous occasions? They provide some of the best linguistic learning experiences. Michele